Washingtonia Protection completed.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Washingtonia Protection completed.

Post by Dave Brown »

Protection removed today, as the worst of winter must now be over.... I hope.

The wind was light, which is the most important thing. Don't want to be doing a Mary Poppins while trying to get it off :lol:

Parasol with fleece skirt down
Dave Brown - Washingtonia robusta protection removal -Chalk, Kent, England February 2012
Dave Brown - Washingtonia robusta protection removal -Chalk, Kent, England February 2012
Parasol with fleece skirt rolled up
Parasol and fleece removed
Dave Brown - Washingtonia robusta protection removed -Chalk, Kent, England February 2012
Dave Brown - Washingtonia robusta protection removed -Chalk, Kent, England February 2012
There was a bit more damage than I was expecting, mainly on the lower leaves, but we did have a wind driven freeze, blasting in under the parasol. I have removed the 3 lowest leaves now.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by billdango »

It looks okay Dave?

I hope your neighbours haven,t cut anymore leaves off.

Maybe one day mine will grow that big.

rgds billdango. icon_thumleft
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Looking a lot better than this time last year though Dave. icon_thumleft Because of this very mild weather we`re getting now it`s looking like we`ll have a very long growing season this year so should come on in leaps and bounds. It really is a fantastic specimen.Everytime i see updated pics of it it really gives me hope that mine will oneday be as big.
This is how i protected mine this winter. I`m going to remove it`s cover in the next week or so. I`ve been a bit over cautious with mine cos it`s still only quite small. I also have another that`s just a tad smaller that i`m going to plant out this Spring and let them grow close together. Next Winter i`ll build a shelter that covers both of them.
Attachments
2011-10-13 20.18.23.jpg
2011-10-19 17.42.50.jpg
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

jimhardy wrote:Heres a couple of Washys I cover from Nov-April....

I do lift the top any time temps are in the mid 40s(F),
which has been very frequent this winter icon_thumleft
11-9-11027.jpg
How do you cover\protect yours Jim......they look great.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
gdudey

Post by gdudey »

If its gets any taller you're going to need a longer ladder :D

Or an air balloon
shanks

Post by shanks »

Andy P wrote:Looking a lot better than this time last year though Dave. icon_thumleft Because of this very mild weather we`re getting now it`s looking like we`ll have a very long growing season this year so should come on in leaps and bounds. It really is a fantastic specimen.Everytime i see updated pics of it it really gives me hope that mine will oneday be as big.
This is how i protected mine this winter. I`m going to remove it`s cover in the next week or so. I`ve been a bit over cautious with mine cos it`s still only quite small. I also have another that`s just a tad smaller that i`m going to plant out this Spring and let them grow close together. Next Winter i`ll build a shelter that covers both of them.

hi
what lights you using on the washie, i have just bought one and already looking how to protect in winter, it will get any winter sun from early morning untill about2 in the afternoon
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

They`re the same lights that Dave uses on his Washie Shanks and describes earlier in this thread.
The lights are incandescent rope light rated at 16w per metre.