Best screening material?

phatplants

Best screening material?

Post by phatplants »

I'm wanting to purchase some screening to cover a wooden fence running behind my tropical border. I've looked online at a few different materials, and am swaying towards brushwood at the moment. I particularly like the fact it is a darker colour than say, bamboo and should show up large green leafy plants well. Does anybody have any experience of using brushwood? Pros and cons. I noticed in my local Wilkinsons store that they have 3 metres by 2 metres packs for £17 which doesn't sound too bad. :D
Adrian

Re: Best screening material?

Post by Adrian »

The split bamboo last longer.
The birds tend to take a big interest in the brushwood screens especially come nesting time.
I have another one along my boundary in the front garden, its the other one, the solid twigs type but off hand I cant think what they are :lol: , anyway, thats a long lasting type.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I have just bought the bamboo for my arbour to hide the fence behind it.......

AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I fancy the bark one myself for my tree fern area,
its a bit pricey in my local stores but maybe cheaper on eBay.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I think brushwood looks good at first but once the birds start pinching bits off it, it soon looks messy. I have some on the roof of my seating area and all that's left of the front part is the wire that holds it together. I have to replace or lay more on, every couple of years.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Looks great Coddy icon_thumright
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Hickory is thicker, more robust and more expensive because of it.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

DiCasS wrote:I think brushwood looks good at first but once the birds start pinching bits off it, it soon looks messy. I have some on the roof of my seating area and all that's left of the front part is the wire that holds it together. I have to replace or lay more on, every couple of years.

Di
This year I'm building a covered pergola over the back of my house and was going to use the brushwood screening.
May have to rethink my plans as I didn't take birds stealing it into consideration.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I'd definitely go for the split bamboo. I had some brushwood screening & it only lasted a couple of years, getting increasingly tatty as time went on too. The split bamboo has lasted better & still looks as good as when it was put up icon_thumleft
phatplants

Post by phatplants »

I think i'd get pretty peed off watching birds pinching bits off, so may have to rethink. Tried bamboo in the past and it's ok (yours looks fantastic Coddy) but i wanted to try something that looked natural to the surroundings and would blend in to create a tropical sanctuary of serenity and peace... I was drifting off there, roll on summer :lol:
call

Post by call »

ive got reed screaning behind my bonsai area and behind the chimeny pots where i grow ipomea and thunbergia
flounder

Post by flounder »

love the lizard coddy....and the pegs icon_thumright icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Nice touch Coddy , looks the biz icon_thumleft
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

This is willow from wilkinsons, i spray it with fence treatment in spring. bamboo looks good as well but as others have said, Brushwood is a no, it looks tatty pretty quickly..

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

That looks nice Deedee icon_thumleft