Black Sambucas

Simba

Black Sambucas

Post by Simba »

Sounds like a potent cocktail.... drunken_smilie1

But I am interested in growing one of these black Elder bushes.
The two varieties that have caught my eye are "black lace" and black beauty", anyone goty any experience with these, and what is the better variety in terms of bushyness....?

Very quick to size up too I understand..?
flounder

Re: Black Sambucas

Post by flounder »

I have black lace (and sutherlands gold by the way) can get leggy unless it has an annual prune. Although mine are potted at the mo, they wil be used as back of the border contrast plants. I think they're fantastic with the ferny coloured foliage
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Yes they grow quickly like buddliea. Needs to be hard pruned to keep under tight control and to produce lots of nice dark growth. If left for a year or two they look awful.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Blace Lace grew into a surprisingly sizeable shrub in a matter of 2 or 3 years in my last garden. Physocarpus diablo is worth a look. Long graceful stems which can easily be thinned and shortened. Easier to control anyway.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Black Sambuca is an actual drink Simba, I've had many a messy night after having Sambuca shots between Budweisers.

not to be confused with Sambuca Black Lace

which in turn is not to be confused with

which is the last thing you'd want in your garden.

;)
Last edited by GoggleboxUK on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phatplants

Post by phatplants »

Recently purchased a 'black lace' still in the pot at the moment, ready to plant out shortly. Wanted it to add height, bushiness and contrast in a 'jungly' border. :D
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

google.......I bet thats you and youre mate in youre backgarden :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yeah Coddy, that's right.

When you're at work we come round to your place and your Mrs joins in with us.

The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

:wink:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Simba wrote:The two varieties that have caught my eye are "black lace" and black beauty", anyone goty any experience with these, and what is the better variety in terms of bushyness....?
Elder grows quickly, but the plants are brittle and short lived. Hence "stooling" works best as it rejuvenates them.

The Black forms are slower than the Green, but the green are very vigorous so by any normal metric the Black are still fast. But assume 3 years to get it established and then you can stool it and get some increasingly dramatic foliage over the following years.

For me "black beauty" has normal sized leaves, establishes quicker, roots more easily from cuttings, but doesn't look anything like as pretty as the more finely "cut" leaves of "black lace"

And some twit has been renaming them recently, so the names are in transition. I've lost track of what's what, but I bought "Eva" this year which I think is one or other of them (or maybe not? ... )
Steph

Post by Steph »

Get yourself some Kev, I grow Black Lace, its a good filler for the background, just cut it back well.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I bought 2 black lace for the front garden last year, they got tall 6ftish and i cut them back in autumn, they now have big fat buds icon_thumleft A couple of pics to show how gorgeous they are, they look great with pink..

Springy

Post by Springy »

I don't know if you have already looked but Cotswold garden flowers do many varieties of sambucus so you might find some info about varieties there!
I think it's Bobs son who is an avid collector and propagator of sambucus plants.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I have 'Black Lace' (Please don't read anything else in to this :shock: ) - in the garden! It grows next to Cornus Alba Elegantissima for contrast. Needs something bright and white next to it. Even so, for me, very dark foliage still creates a black hole in the garden. It's got to be very carefully sited.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Thanks for the feedback guys, some interesting comments.
GREVILLE wrote:Even so, for me, very dark foliage still creates a black hole in the garden. It's got to be very carefully sited.
It is to be planted inbetween two Fargesia bamboo, and behind 'blue' yucca, so the intention is to contrast the bamboo, and highlight the yucca.