Hardenbergia violacea

ChrisG

Hardenbergia violacea

Post by ChrisG »

Does anyone grow this nice little climber? I did last year and it flowered for months over the summer with delicate little purple flowers. I managed to kill mine at the end of the summer, but will be looking for another. Don't seem to have any pictures.
DiCasS

Re: Hardenbergia violacea

Post by DiCasS »

Went to a small nursery by us and they had a couple there. You don't see them very often. I picked one up and nearly bought it but was unsure of the minimum temperatures. They also had a white one too. I was very tempted. They had them in the greenhouse so I put it back.

Regret it now, as it looked a beauty.

Di - sorry, never grown one before though.
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Di Go back and get one :) . I don't think mins are a problem, mine died because it was neglected and not watered.
Dave in Warrington

Post by Dave in Warrington »

Chris,

Not had one but was it simply lack of light combined with the UK humidity around the plant body last year. They would not like this environment since they are native to western Australian and like a hot dry climate. Best in a conservatory / greenhouse as Di suggested !
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I've just picked one of these up INFO HERE and was wondering about their hardiness.

Does anyone have a survivor of recent cold spells that could give me a low they are capable of withstanding please?
call

Post by call »

I am also interested in these plants and I might try one out in the spring :D
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

Does fine near the coast here but as it starts flowering at Christmas I have always found it gives a better show under glass.minus 4-5c is its absolute limit Outdoors.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks Charlie ;)

Despite the claim of -7c on the packaging I think that seems much more realistic.
DiCasS

Hardenbergia violacea

Post by DiCasS »

I was reading old posts and came across this one which caught my attention. I cannot believe it"s been 10 years since I posted on this thread. Anyway, I've finally got round to growing some this year and wanted to make a wigwam and grow in a pot. I'm not sure how many plants I would need in say a 1 ft pot (for now) to make a nice display.

Thanks

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
DiCasS

Hardenbergia violacea

Post by DiCasS »

Well, I've been doing a bit of reading and am quite excited about these plants and realise I will need just the one plant to the pot. It's a vigorous grower and shall be kept in my conservatory during the Winter. Not sure how old before they flower but below is a picture of one in flower. I think it is quite beautiful and if I get to grow one which gives me just a few flowers, I shall be happy.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0887/ ... 1443620265

What do you think?

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
charliepridham

Hardenbergia violacea

Post by charliepridham »

They are an easy grow Di, anything above -1C will see them happy and they flower from the get go, I have to remove flowers from the cuttings. The only thing I find difficult about them is taking a good picture that shows them off properly!
Imagehardenbergia violacea 003 by charliepridham, on Flickr
DiCasS

Hardenbergia violacea

Post by DiCasS »

I would be really pleased if mine grew as well as yours Charlie. I do heat the conservatory in Winter and am hopeful of flowers now I've read your comments. I believe they are scented and flower in the early part of the year?? If that's the case, it will be nice to have a bit of perfume in there during a usually gloomy period. Is that just one plant in your photo?

Thanks.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
charliepridham

Hardenbergia violacea

Post by charliepridham »

I cant say I have ever noticed a scent? but then I have never had a sniff!
otorongo

Hardenbergia violacea

Post by otorongo »

I haven't noticed a scent either.

They start flowering in December and finish around March. Mine died this past winter, the stem was broken at the base and I have no idea what caused it, but it seems unlikely that it was frost damage. I'm going to get a replacement, but not until this drought ends, don't want another liability to water.
DiCasS

Hardenbergia violacea

Post by DiCasS »

Sorry about the delay in replying.
It was Hayloft who suggested it was "heavily scented", maybe a typo. Saying that my nose isn't that good on picking up some smells, hopefully I'll find out in the not too distant future. I'm trusting my non gardening daughter with the watering whilst away, and she assures me all plants look alive still.

Otorongo, I'd love to be able to reliably leave one out for winter, and maybe I might have got away with it post 2010 for about four of the Winters as we had some mild Winters, but at least the last 3 years have been rubbish and would have finished them off.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.