Dutchy Schefflera Rhododendrifolia

pdid

Dutchy Schefflera Rhododendrifolia

Post by pdid »

Just picked one of these up for £14.99 plus £10 delivery. I have repotted it as it was in desperate need, but a good plant for the money.

http://www.duchyofcornwallnursery.co.uk ... ?newsID=56

I think they have been pick-up only in the past and they`re not available through the online nursery so a phonecall may be in order.

Thanks to Simba and Chad for pointing me in the right direction icon_salut
Scheffy R2.jpg
Scheffy R1.jpg
Simba

Re: Dutchy Schefflera Rhododendrifolia

Post by Simba »

Nigel Fear got one for me last year, im not sure if he visited Duchy or not, but anyway, smashy little Scheffy..... icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

not bad at all icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

is it a little wilted or is that the angle the leaflets take?
pdid

Post by pdid »

Mr List wrote:not bad at all icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

is it a little wilted or is that the angle the leaflets take?
I think they are a little wilted, partly from being packaged up and partly because of being tired growth from last year. It was also quite potbound on arrival.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Damned good value if its hardy! Wish I lived close enough to get one. icon_thumright
pdid

Post by pdid »

jungle jas wrote:Damned good value if its hardy! Wish I lived close enough to get one. icon_thumright
Ring and ask. They do plants by mail.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i lost 2 of these in pots last winter, they didnt even grow at all beforehand either.
replaced them with one in april and planted it out soon after.it hasnt dropped a leaf since even after 2 x -9s this winter.totally unprotected and growing well. this leads me to believe they may not like pots????
taken yesterday when i noticed how well it was doing icon_thumright
Attachments
devon scheff (Large).jpg
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Simba

Post by Simba »

I'd second that RS, they certainly seem to like finding their feet.... icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

What size is that? The website advertises them as seedlings, seems a bit pessimistic, judging by your pic it looks rather well established?
Springy

Post by Springy »

I purchased mine from desert to jungle early last year and planted it close to a fence in a raised bed. It has probably doubled in size in that time to about 18"-24"
It has taken -8.5 here and there is not a mark on it! icon_cheers
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Got mine from PGP last year. We've had a few -8's this winter but it seems to have been unaffected.
pdid

Post by pdid »

GoggleboxUK wrote:What size is that? The website advertises them as seedlings, seems a bit pessimistic, judging by your pic it looks rather well established?
It probably was a seedling in 2010 when that article was published. Mine stands at around 18" tall.

Thanks for the advice re. planting out and frost tolerence, I just need to find a spot now. Do they have a preference Sun/ shade?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

from what ive seen of scheffies in pics,they seem to grow anywhere.
Gary Wattons was a corker grown under a massive canopy of huge bamboos and partially hidden by some very large bananas.
it was perfect to a tee.
i have my rhodendrifolia in full sun and my taiwainian in full shade.that one is in a big pot,going in the ground this year.

i vaguely remember seeing a pic of the mother plant of these little scheffs planted with a big fence behind it. dont take that as gospel tho,my memory is shot to bits these days icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
pdid

Post by pdid »

redsquirrel wrote:from what ive seen of scheffies in pics,they seem to grow anywhere.
Gary Wattons was a corker grown under a massive canopy of huge bamboos and partially hidden by some very large bananas.
it was perfect to a tee.
i have my rhodendrifolia in full sun and my taiwainian in full shade.that one is in a big pot,going in the ground this year.

i vaguely remember seeing a pic of the mother plant of these little scheffs planted with a big fence behind it. dont take that as gospel tho,my memory is shot to bits these days icon_thumleft
Cheers icon_thumleft

I`ve got a spot in mind which is in full sun, however it is occupied by a 20 year old Holly bush at the moment, it wouldn`t be a great loss but would remove some privacy. Hmmmmm.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Both the Duchy and PGP plants come from Mark Fillan.

I think the seed is from the famous plant at The Garden House.

Mark and Gaz have a write up of the garden with a picture of the Shefflera some way down the page here.

Chad.