Which is hardier?
Conifers

Re: Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP) vs Washie

Post by Conifers »

Neither! :lol:
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I think you might be right conifers. Though i think i`ve managed to overwinter my Washie lookin great and i`ve really never had any luck at all regards Phoenix canariensis_CIDP`s
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Phoenix canariensis is hardier, in this country at least...
Rod

Post by Rod »

Phoenix canariensis is ( -7.0°c to -8.0°c ) here in Christchurch, and fronds start getting damaged at approx: -4.5°c to -5.0°c
Washingtonia robusta is ( -6.0° to -7.0°c ) here in Christchurch, and fronds start getting damaged at approx: -3.5°c to -4.0°c
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

In the uk I'd say the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP can take slightly lower temps but the washy recovers its foliage faster after damage.
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

Id say Phoenix canariensis_CIDP but a mature size unless with the small ones u brought inside, As with the one i might get will be quiet big but il be transfering into a real big pot and plant in the ground, but this year if i get it will just stay above ground so when winter does come it be straight into the shed protected Hopefully it be something along the lines of this winter or warmer then maby i dont except the coldest nights
billdango

Re: Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP)) vs Wash

Post by billdango »

Rod wrote:Phoenix canariensis is ( -7.0°c to -8.0°c ) here in Christchurch, and fronds start getting damaged at approx: -4.5°c to -5.0°c
Washingtonia robusta is ( -6.0° to -7.0°c ) here in Christchurch, and fronds start getting damaged at approx: -3.5°c to -4.0°c
Thats true Rod,I have noticed the similarities here in Southampton as scorch marks appear at about -4c and the leaves go blotchy at about -5 to -6c.

Usually here in southampton at least the plant reverts back to its normal color when the temperature rises to about -10c.

If like during the last 2 winters the temperature drops below -7c the whole center of the plant will break off at the growing point.

This is why it is always best to wrap at least the bottom half of the plant in the uk.

A hot water bottle tucked in by the growing point will usually prevent total collapse of the palm tree.

The same seems to apply to W robusta but in the case of that palm it seems to show damage at about -4c but recovers much faster then P Canarensis.

rgds billdango. icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Phoenix canariensis is technically hardier than Washingtonia robusta, but neither like freezes. However, having grown both for over 30 years. I have a huge Washingtonia, 12 ft tall, but have never kept a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP long enough to get large :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP)) vs Wash

Post by Andy P »

Dave Brown wrote:Phoenix canariensis is technically hardier than Washingtonia robusta, but neither like freezes. However, having grown both for over 30 years. I have a huge Washingtonia, 12 ft tall, but have never kept a Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP) long enough to get large :roll:
Well i`ve only been growing exotics for the past 2 years but my experience is the same. I`ve not lost a Washie yet and i have 5 of them now. I`ve lost 3 Phoenix canariensis_CIDP`s and only have one left now and that`s not looking too healthy. :(