Sick Washie?????????????

Andy P

Sick Washie?????????????

Post by Andy P »

I decided to remove the plastic tent that`s been covering my Washie today. It`s been under it`s cover since November. Was a bit shocked to see that it`s thrown out a new leaf since then and that leaf is bright yellow. :shock: The Palm looks to be in good health and the new spear on it is very solid and a deep green colour, but the one leaf that`s come out whilst it`s been undercover doesn`t look right at all. I`m wondering what`s caused this?? Would it just be low light levels or could it be something i should be worried about?? All the rest of the leaves are a very deep green with only some very minor leaf tip burn which is to be expected.
Attachments
2011-10-19 17.42.50.jpg
2012-03-02 17.50.58.jpg
2012-03-02 17.51.11.jpg
2012-03-02 17.51.32.jpg
2012-03-02 17.55.16.jpg
billdango

Re: Sick Washie?????????????

Post by billdango »

I think it just looks yellow because its a new leaf and the light levels are low in winter.

It should color up normally soon when the weather gets warmer.

Mine looks the same but it is in perfect health with no winter damage.

rgds billdango. icon_thumleft
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Ditto to Bill, looks etiolated to me from being shut up in the dark for 3 months.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

This has happened on both my Jubaea and a couple of Chammies so I'll be interested to read what people say.

I wondered if they'd gone into shock after being indoors but your Washy has been outside so that doesn't seem right.

The yellow spears and new leaves on my palms seem really limp too and one of my Yuccas seems to have gone very limp as well.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

billdango wrote:I think it just looks yellow because its a new leaf and the light levels are low in winter.

It should color up normally soon when the weather gets warmer.

Mine looks the same but it is in perfect health with no winter damage.

Mmmm That`s what i was suspecting Bill but i wasn`t sure. Cheers icon_thumleft Put my mind at rest a tad there. Don`t want to lose this Palm.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Don,t worry Andyp it will be okay so just keep an eye on it for the next few weeks,As there may be some chilly nights ahead.

Don,t forget to keep the forum posted on its progress and i,ll do the same with mine.

Dim

Post by Dim »

I've got a similar problem with a Chamaerops Humils, except that there are more than 1 leaf showing yellowing (most probably from the -16 degrees C temps we had in cambridge recently)

I went to a hydroponics shop this morning and was strongly advised to use some stuff called Revive (made by advanced nutrients)

I used it as a foliar spray and it's supposed to be really good with plants that are stressed

a bit pricey though (£20 for 1 litre), but it gets diluted at 3ml per litre of water

have applied it and hoping it works
Last edited by Dim on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

GoggleboxUK wrote:This has happened on both my Jubaea and a couple of Chammies so I'll be interested to read what people say.

I wondered if they'd gone into shock after being indoors but your Washy has been outside so that doesn't seem right.

The yellow spears and new leaves on my palms seem really limp too and one of my Yuccas seems to have gone very limp as well.
Yes i`ve noticed the yellow leaf is very soft to the touch. All the other leaves are very stiff ( as they should be) but the yellow one feels abnormal.
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

My washy's the same, probs same size as yours as well :) Mines been in a completely bubble wrapped greenhouse so I just assumed it was down to light levels
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Addictedtopalms26 wrote:My washy's the same, probs same size as yours as well :) Mines been in a completely bubble wrapped greenhouse so I just assumed it was down to light levels
Cool . That`s proper put my mind to rest now and , After googling the word ` Etiolated` ( Have never heard that word before so cheers Conifers) I understand what`s happened now. Because we`ve had such a mild winter, the palms continued to grow, but it`s been unable to photosynthesize - Hence the yellow colouration. Simples!
That would also explain why Gogg`s Palms have done the same - being indoors.
It`s all a learning curve.
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Yeah im sure since you've removed the cover now and its warming up, the leaf will turn a lovely green again! Well i hope so! haha

Gonna pull mine outside again soon icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Etiolated, my word of the day.

I feel happier now too.

I don't understand why my Jubs threw out perfectly green leaves indoors which turned yellow outdoors though?
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I`ve had such a mild winter this year and the only times i`ve had minus temps the rope lights have been switched on all night. They were pushing out a fair bit of heat too so it`s no wonder it`s continued growing.
After the last few nightmare Winters i was fearing the worst and as it`s still only a small Palm i protected it to the hilt. Looks like i overdid it. :lol:
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Here`s another good word .. Chlorosis
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »