Brahea armata.

Ste

Brahea armata.

Post by Ste »

Just had my second brahea armata delivered and it's great. Nice size and good size trunk - especially for the money I paid, bargain. Just been and bought a pot for it as the original pot has burst with the amount of roots. Also bought 3 bags of John innes no 2, 3 bags of gravel/pea shingle and 3 bags of sharp sand. What would be the best mix for this palm?
GoggleboxUK

Re: Brahea armata.

Post by GoggleboxUK »

The more free draining the better Ste.

Although they are thirsty palms they don't like to have constant wet around the roots.

Try to be as gentle with the roots as possible when repotting as they hate root disturbances and if you can stand the pot in a saucer of water for 12 hours 3 or 4 times a week during the growing season you should see some excellent growth. Feed once a month either with chicken pellets or something like Miracle Gro or Chempak.

;)
Ste

Post by Ste »

Cheers rick. I'm in a rush now, off to work but I'll be potting up in the morning do any comments on what mix to use would be much appreciated. For example 33% compost, 33% gravel, 33% sharp sand?
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Ste, thats the sort of ratios that I will be using when I plant mine out in a raised bed, hopefully April time. Knowing that they dislike root disturbance, I have bought some 'Rootgrow', and will see if this helps.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Ste wrote:Just had my second brahea armata delivered and it's great. Nice size and good size trunk - especially for the money I paid, bargain. Just been and bought a pot for it as the original pot has burst with the amount of roots. Also bought 3 bags of John innes no 2, 3 bags of gravel/pea shingle and 3 bags of sharp sand. What would be the best mix for this palm?
Got any pictures Ste?
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Ste wrote:Just had my second brahea armata delivered and it's great. Nice size and good size trunk - especially for the money I paid, bargain. Just been and bought a pot for it as the original pot has burst with the amount of roots. Also bought 3 bags of John innes no 2, 3 bags of gravel/pea shingle and 3 bags of sharp sand. What would be the best mix for this palm?
Show it to us then Ste, and how much and where from? icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Ste

Post by Ste »

Rod wrote:Got any pictures Ste?
Here's a couple of pics. I've just got in from a 13 hour night shift so not had chance to re-pot it yet but hopefully will do this afternoon.
It's a nice size, especially for the price tag. Managed to get it for £45 so its a definate bargain.
Attachments
b1 [re-sized].JPG
b1 [re-sized].JPG (57.54 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
b2 [re-sized].JPG
b2 [re-sized].JPG (55.31 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
b3 [re-sized].JPG
b3 [re-sized].JPG (61.17 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
b4 [re-sized].JPG
b4 [re-sized].JPG (55.05 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

could that be a sucker/pup off a bigger plant, with the angle of the bend and all icon_scratch
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I hope it was pot grown and not lifted and put in that pot, if the latter then it doesnt stand a chance.
The only reason Im questioning whether it has been pot grown is that it looks loose in the pot.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I share Adrian's concern. It does look loose in the pot with exposed roots which isn't a good sign. The pot looks too small for that palm to have grown to that size in?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Maybe Ste has already taken it from the old pot and shaken off the old compost? Most sellers will keep these in a very loose and free draining mix.
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Maybe Ste has already taken it from the old pot and shaken off the old compost? Most sellers will keep these in a very loose and free draining mix.
Ste did say that the original pot had been burst by the roots, so hopefully thats why it appears loose icon_thumleft
Ste

Post by Ste »

I know what you mean about it looking as if it has just been plonked in that pot butthe good thing is that that the roots are bursting through the holes in the bottom of the pot so they have obviousley grown through the holes which seems like it has been in that pot for some time. The roots are poking about 12 inches through the holes and are that tight, the pot will want cutting off. If it was just lifted and stuck in that pot the roots wouldn't be like they are. I think it's the way it was delivered which has caused it to tilt and look loose. It was shocking the way the box was bent. I dont blame the seller, it's the delivery guys who handle packages loads of shallots.
I think this is why it looks loose...................
Attachments
b5.JPG
b5.JPG (39.52 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
b6.JPG
b6.JPG (44.09 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

It's a cracking plant for the price.
Delboy