Morrab, Penzance

maritimesbob

Morrab, Penzance

Post by maritimesbob »

Went to Penzance for a few hours to have lunch yesterday and a bit of shopping. Decided to go for a walk in Morrab public gardens for an hour. It's only half hour drive from here.

For those who have never been there, they are public gardens in Penzance. Full of Cordylines, Agave, Trachycarpus, Yuccas, Fatsia Japonica, Puya Chilensis, Canariensis Palms, Butia, Chameorops Humilis , Bamboo and other hardy tropicals. There was even a lonely looking Prickly Pear!

All the plants look in good condition. It appears the couple of frosts that did hit the far southwest have done little if any damage. The big Musas had been chopped as expected by the council but were already throwing up new rollers. The large Echiums looked relatively untouched. I am sure they will be in flower again this summer should we get some good weather. They looked fantastic last year.

I noticed quite a few self seeded Trachycarpus in amongst the Echium beds. Always nice to see nature doing it's work.

It got me in the mood so on the way home I stopped by at my favourite exotic nursery near Hayle and purchased a few plants. He only opened yesterday, he does not advertise as he mainly sells to garden centres.

Apologies for the pics at Morrab, they were taken on my phone.
Attachments
morrab1.jpg
morrab2.jpg
morrab3.jpg
Last edited by maritimesbob on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Troppoz

Re: Morrab, Penzance

Post by Troppoz »

The Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and trachys are in good shape. Would be interesting to see it in mid-summer...
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

I took these last July during the brief Cornish summer!
Attachments
morrab5.jpg
morrab6.jpg
morrab8.jpg
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

looks fantastic!
kata

Post by kata »

It must be great to 'lunch' somewhere like that,

Thanks for sharing Bob, they're beauties.

:mrgreen:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

ive looked for this place before and not found it.google earthed it recently so we can find it next time to find that in october i was actually parked in the carpark at the top :lol:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

There was a letter in the local rag last week bemoaning the fact that the gardens didn't show many bulbs or flowers. You can imagine the response, most folk were outraged and rightly so. Joe is on his own there except for a few stalwart volunteers and I think he does a great job.
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

what the nursery near hayle???, thought i knew most of those in that area,,, this means i'll have to add another one to my list to visit when i'm down in about 5 weeks time
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

indeed Dave,as you drive into hayle at the lidl end,go left at the mini roundabout and follow it out for a mile or thereabouts. plantaholics and the other nursery are on the left
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
sam140

Post by sam140 »

wish i could grow this much ere :lol:
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

carolpz wrote:There was a letter in the local rag last week bemoaning the fact that the gardens didn't show many bulbs or flowers. You can imagine the response, most folk were outraged and rightly so. Joe is on his own there except for a few stalwart volunteers and I think he does a great job.
I bet that letter was written by LOTE :lol: :lol: :lol:
SueW

Post by SueW »

I've seen Plantaholics on Ebay, but had no idea where they are. Must pay them a visit sometime. :-) Any idea where Cornwall Chillis Direct are? I suspect near Camborne somewhere.

Morrab Gardens are lovely, aren't they. I love PZ, my kinda town.
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

SueW wrote:I've seen Plantaholics on Ebay, but had no idea where they are. Must pay them a visit sometime. :-) Any idea where Cornwall Chillis Direct are? I suspect near Camborne somewhere.

Morrab Gardens are lovely, aren't they. I love PZ, my kinda town.
If it's the place I'm thinking of they are down near Crane Rd, just past Camborne park. The nursery just past Plantaholics has IMO better quality stock and marginally better prices too. I think he's called Hayle plants or something like that.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Thanks for sharing Bob! Some lovely specimens there. Will pop in next time we're down that way. icon_thumleft

Ness