our small tropical garden (update 8/8/12))

kata

Re: new arrival

Post by kata »

On seeing it wrapped...what the hell is that......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats an awesome sized Agave...the postage must have been hellish dear for a plant that size Shanks...Its a belter.

Mr Red Squirrel (RedS) will be able to advise you on position better than I.

icon_sunny
shanks

Post by shanks »

kata wrote:On seeing it wrapped...what the hell is that......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats an awesome sized Agave...the postage must have been hellish dear for a plant that size Shanks...Its a belter.

Mr Red Squirrel (RedS) will be able to advise you on position better than I.

icon_sunny
£13.99 postage and combined with a

£13.99 postage and combined with a 8 litre chamaerops cerifera, really good considering some charges on ebay and the like, and yes very pleased with it a lot bigger than expected will make a nice addition and hopefully a lot hardier than small specimens
kata

Post by kata »

Pretty good rate Shanks, well done,

Remember the frosty nights we're getting though.

Take care.

:mrgreen:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Amazing plants and that one certainly is nice...but evil!! :lol:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
shanks

Re: new arrival and acer update

Post by shanks »

what a differance a week makes, acer looks lovely now, red one following
shanks

Re: our small tropical garden (chamaerops cerifera planted)

Post by shanks »

chamaerops cerifera, arrived and planted out, looks like it is going to flower aswell, planted in larger raised bed, thanks for looking :D
call

Post by call »

wow love the agave so different to mine
Attachments
php4scIA3AM.jpg
php4scIA3AM.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

You are getting a nice collection of plants Shanks :D , loving the agave its a monster, potentially less aggressive also as it has an upward habit, keeping spikes out of the way.

The acer in the corner is lovely, I love them with freshly opened leaves, so delicate.

I don't know what other opinions would be on your tree fern though, I don't have one (no room :( ), it looks awfully close to the fence, once opened the crowns on these can be massive, it will not open properly there, could you move it forward closer to the wall than fence?
shanks

Post by shanks »

Trudytropics wrote:You are getting a nice collection of plants Shanks :D , loving the agave its a monster, potentially less aggressive also as it has an upward habit, keeping spikes out of the way.

The acer in the corner is lovely, I love them with freshly opened leaves, so delicate.

I don't know what other opinions would be on your tree fern though, I don't have one (no room :( ), it looks awfully close to the fence, once opened the crowns on these can be massive, it will not open properly there, could you move it forward closer to the wall than fence?
thanks, yes the agave has a nice habit, i have to be wary of the grandchildren and dog as going in small wall to side
the acers were from my koi pond but moved when i got rid of it, there a really nice size now despite being pruned in the past
the tree fern is at a angle so hopefully most will be ok, i had one by the shed which used to damage the fronds a bit on one side so this is really only place to put it, and they did open properly though, i'll see how it goes though,
agave is going into the wall tomorrow still in pot so i can just lift it for winter
thanks for comments
shanks

Post by shanks »

call wrote:wow love the agave so different to mine
thanks callum, the wife always wanted one of these and at £39 i had to get it especially as habit is upright, less dangerous when grandkids are around although i will put a chair in front of it when they are
flounder

Post by flounder »

Very tranquil looking. Right that grass isn't festuca, its er....umm....something else who's name escapes me at the moment icon_scratch
Oh dear, I feel old :(
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

flounder wrote:Very tranquil looking. Right that grass isn't festuca, its er....umm....something else who's name escapes me at the moment icon_scratch
Looks like my carex evergold / golden sage ..............i think icon_scratch
flounder

Post by flounder »

carex, yes. maybe....where did I put the sanatogen?
sam140

Post by sam140 »

You're cordyline sprouts look healthy. Some monster plants there 8)
shanks

Post by shanks »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
flounder wrote:Very tranquil looking. Right that grass isn't festuca, its er....umm....something else who's name escapes me at the moment icon_scratch
Looks like my carex evergold / golden sage ..............i think icon_scratch
yes it is carex, i bought 2 a few years ago but the grew huge, they were dug up and i tried splitting them, most of them made it and also grew huge and so on and so on :lol:
i now have 33 in the back garden with 3 more still to be split and about 7 in front, once finished i'll take some pics
the blue/green varigated grass to base of tree fern i have no idea, these were also split and replanted without too much damage or sulking, got them unamed on bargain bench at garden centre some years back
thanks for comments icon_salut