our small tropical garden (update 8/8/12))

Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: our small tropical garden (chamaerops cerifera planted)

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Shanks
the opposite has happened with my carex. Put 3 in last year and they've done nothing. The Festuca Elijah Blue i put in along side them has done really well tho, look like Ken Dodds hair on steroids . Just about to split those and spread them about to fill some gaps. Love the colour on these.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Great plants there, specially the Acer and Chamaerops. 8)

That Agave looks nice too, and will eventually open out more as newer leaves emerge from the centre, they pup readily too, and the leaf-tips are lethal!!!

Keep it potted with GOOD drainage, and remember to put it away somewhere dry next winter, a shed will do, or it will rot.
shanks

Post by shanks »

Nigel Fear wrote:Great plants there, specially the Acer and Chamaerops. 8)

That Agave looks nice too, and will eventually open out more as newer leaves emerge from the centre, they pup readily too, and the leaf-tips are lethal!!!

Keep it potted with GOOD drainage, and remember to put it away somewhere dry next winter, a shed will do, or it will rot.
thanks, yes decided to keep in pot and plunge in ground, it has got some pups on it and few emerging going to read up on removing the larger ones and see how we go growing on, i'm newish to full scale tropical gardening so always learning but comments on here are always helpful icon_thumleft
shanks

Post by shanks »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Shanks
the opposite has happened with my carex. Put 3 in last year and they've done nothing. The Festuca Elijah Blue i put in along side them has done really well tho, look like Ken Dodds hair on steroids . Just about to split those and spread them about to fill some gaps. Love the colour on these.
hi arlon, i'm sure it's the quality top soil i used in the walls as i cant stop them growing!!!!!!!!!! you'll see when i take some photos of the full garden
on the opposite side the 3 festuca blues never really did anything, lots of dead leaves wich i pulled away but left straggely,
shanks

Re: our small tropical garden (agave planted 8/4/12)

Post by shanks »

put the agave in the side wall today, in pot so i can remove in winter, put some large pebbles around the rim of pot to let water run off,
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

MMm.. it aint going to have much room to open out.....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
daz

Post by daz »

wow thats a lovely plant.mmm i want one now lol
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Put your whirly gig down when its raining :lol:

I love that agave, reminds me of the pods in alien, something sinister about it, I love that washy, I'd plant that just for summer bedding it looks that good.
shanks

Re: our small tropical garden (Trachycarpus started to flowe

Post by shanks »

must have been the early sunshine as the Trachycarpus has started to flower not usually this early
sam140

Post by sam140 »

I have four starting to flower. Must have been the march heatwave. It is early, normally flowering is early may :shock:
sam140

Post by sam140 »

I have four starting to flower. Must have been the march heatwave. It is early, normally flowering is early may :shock:
shanks

Post by shanks »

Trudytropics wrote:Put your whirly gig down when its raining :lol:

I love that agave, reminds me of the pods in alien, something sinister about it, I love that washy, I'd plant that just for summer bedding it looks that good.
i hate that whirly gig :roll:
the washy is one of my faves, going to put a small plastic greenhouse over in winter, will be able to open the front for warmer days, fingers crossed
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

my one has 5 flower branches on it in the pic tho u can only see 3
Attachments
DSCF1511 (Copy).JPG
shanks

Re: our small tropical garden (nigels yucca rostrat arrived)

Post by shanks »

yucca rostrata arrived from nigel, nice size reasonable price, awaiting new zinc planters to plant it

kata

Re: our small tropical garden (nigels yucca rostrat arrived)

Post by kata »

Thats one lovely plant Shanks,

I think that whirley line folds down, you can even make it look tidy via a cover... :lol: :lol: