our small tropical garden (update 8/8/12))

shanks

our small tropical garden (update 8/8/12))

Post by shanks »

arrived today, bought by my son and daughter to replace the one i lost last year, stands 3 ft 6 inch
the grasses by it were bought a few years ago, 2 small pots unamed and since i have divided them into the many you see in picture, no idea what they are called as came from sale bench at garden centre
Last edited by shanks on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Adam D

Re: new arrival

Post by Adam D »

You are lucky to have such thoughtful children!

Your Acer is miles ahead of mine (good for you, but a bit sad for me ;))
shanks

Post by shanks »

Adam D wrote:You are lucky to have such thoughtful children!

beats slippers i usually get for birthday :lol:
the acer is opening up nice, lovely when fully open, next to it is a red acer which is just starting to open, i'll post piccies when fully open
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Dicksonia antarctica's look a bit like Mr Hankey when the first arrive :DD
flounder

Post by flounder »

The grass looks like some sort of festuca to me, glauca maybe.
Everything is looking nice and tidy icon_thumright
kata

Post by kata »

Good luck with that one Shanks!

Come winter I think fleece rolled into balls and put into the top will give some protection...remove on sunny/milder days.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
shanks

Post by shanks »

kata wrote:Good luck with that one Shanks!

Come winter I think fleece rolled into balls and put into the top will give some protection...remove on sunny/milder days.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
thanks kata, after losing my last one i'm thinking of chiken wire and hay wrapped around with fleece which seems pretty popular way on here of protecting, but for now, enjoy the sun 8) it will soon beover :|
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Mr List wrote:Dicksonia antarctica's look a bit like Mr Hankey when the first arrive :DD
I think you must eat too much roughage! :lol: :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

whatever works for you Shanks,

Them Dicksonia antarctica are too damned expensive to lose.

Adam, remember we discussed how late my main Acer was still having leaves in November/December? Its new season is just begining so your fine.

I just pruned it, it was getting too tall.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Looks a good one!

Is it planted there because the cordy is going to damage the fronds as they are very tender for a first few weeks.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
shanks

Post by shanks »

Tom2006 wrote:Looks a good one!

Is it planted there because the cordy is going to damage the fronds as they are very tender for a first few weeks.
i never thought of that but i'm hoping they will fly past tehm pretty quick, i may have to tie cordy leaves to avoid too much damage, unfortunatly my garden is only small and where the old one was the shed roof used to damage the fronds so this is the only place i can put it and only place to give shade as south facing, the cordy are 4 plants off the big one i lost last year so cant move them but they seem to b growing quick as theres a mature root system i guess, but thanks for the info icon_salut
shanks

Post by shanks »

Adam D wrote:You are lucky to have such thoughtful children!

picture of green acer opening up, this has been in 4 differant positions over years and cut back 3 times so would have been a lot bigger, this was a small baby bought from woolies, the tall red acer is just opening and is a good 10 foot tall now, this was taken from my brother inlaws acer about 7 years ago as he dropped a pot on it and a piece came off with some root attached i potted it up and here it is, once fully opened i'll posta picture as they look superb together

close up of the grass
kata

Post by kata »

Lovely Acer,

Mine is quite old, or maybe not at around 10 years. Its currently just beging to 'leaf up', it was very late losing its leaf last winter.

Now I want to learn pruning my tree.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

shanks wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:Looks a good one!

i never thought of that but i'm hoping they will fly past tehm pretty quick, i may have to tie cordy leaves to avoid too much damage, unfortunatly my garden is only small and where the old one was the shed roof used to damage the fronds so this is the only place i can put it and only place to give shade as south facing, the cordy are 4 plants off the big one i lost last year so cant move them but they seem to b growing quick as theres a mature root system i guess, but thanks for the info icon_salut
I see what you mean from the pictures. I put one of mine too close to my bamboo last spring and the slight contact damaged the emerging fronds but small price to pay. It looks nice and sheltered as well so hopefully the fronds wont get blown around too much either. It will look very nice there!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
shanks

Re: new arrival - varigated agave 5/4/12

Post by shanks »

another new arrival today from easy tropicals, huge agave and in very good condition (bloody thing has already attacked me :x ) i am thinking of putting it in the raised wall in picture next to european fan palm and moving everything else, the soil is top quality topsoil with added aquarium gravel and was going to add perlite and grit, i would also be able to add a cover over it in winter to keep a lot of the rain off, what do you think as it's my first agave