our small tropical garden (update 8/8/12))

kata

Re: our small tropical garden (garden pictures update 26/5)

Post by kata »

:lol: Goggles pic... :lol:

Glad in a way not just me had those brown insects Shank, I was thinking it was just my area. Went for the camera but they had gone, probably further up the tree.... :lol: :lol:

The Cycad looks nice in the zinc pot.
shanks

Post by shanks »

Glad in a way not just me had those brown insects Shank, I was thinking it was just my area. Went for the camera but they had gone, probably further up the tree.... :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

thanks kata, yes they were strange, never seen them before, theve completly gone now, i should have taken picture really, ladybirds accounted for most of the aphids but they have left holes in the leaves, first time ever,
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Love your garden shanks, im going to look for a green acer like yours its lovely, you have some really nice big mature palms there and i love your zinc planters, very contempory, raised beds look great as well icon_thumleft Blooming Lovely :mrgreen:
Springy

Post by Springy »

I'm loving these pics! What a cracking garden! The decked area is exactly the type of effect I'd like to achieve at the bottom of my garden!

I thought your garden furniture was a filing cabinet with the draws open when I first looked! :lol:
shanks

Post by shanks »

Deedee wrote:Love your garden shanks, im going to look for a green acer like yours its lovely, you have some really nice big mature palms there and i love your zinc planters, very contempory, raised beds look great as well icon_thumleft Blooming Lovely :mrgreen:
thanks deedee, that green acer is about 13 years old now i think and would havce been twice the size but has had several cut backs and moved 3 times
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

shanks wrote:
Deedee wrote:Love your garden shanks, im going to look for a green acer like yours its lovely, you have some really nice big mature palms there and i love your zinc planters, very contempory, raised beds look great as well icon_thumleft Blooming Lovely :mrgreen:
thanks deedee, that green acer is about 13 years old now i think and would havce been twice the size but has had several cut backs and moved 3 times
I saw one this morning in B&Q Shanks, a bit expensive i thought for the size, ill wait till autumn when they sell them off cheap icon_thumleft
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Looks a superb exotic and relaxing space!! I see your Dicksonia antarctica is still as dormant as my new one icon_scratch :lol:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Small, yes. Thinking BIG, definitely icon_thumleft
shanks

Post by shanks »

Tom2006 wrote:Looks a superb exotic and relaxing space!! I see your Dicksonia antarctica is still as dormant as my new one icon_scratch :lol:
yes it had'nt moved since the kids bought it me in april, i have soaked it everyday and finally i think i see some movement icon_cheers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Nice one....noticed mine has one crozier slowly on the move.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
shanks

Re: our small tropical garden (tree fern finally moving 14/6

Post by shanks »

tree fern finally moving
orchids also out now
first casulaty
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

shanks wrote:tree fern finally moving
orchids also out now
first casulaty
I wouldnt bin the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, the spear looks alive icon_sunny

what low temps did you get shanks? im in cheshire and my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP sailed through without any protection. Yours looks quite protected to in the corner with fence and everything, and slate mulch over the roots icon_scratch

Last edited by cordyman on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i bet it would pull, my bedding one looked and did the same
shanks

Post by shanks »

cordy, the green bits are turning brown so not looking good, i did move it around early april along with another which is still ok, both were protected with fleece and temps were pretty good this year, only one weekend we got freezing rain
slate more of a decorative thing, not sure it has any value with root protection, could be wrong, i used to mulch with bark but the bloody dog keeps eating it :oops:
shanks

Re: our small tropical garden (update 8/8/12)

Post by shanks »

hi all
some update pictures, rubbish summer here only thing to have really taken off is the bamboo and the slugs, banana has done ok despite lack off sun but has had plenty of rain, nearly every day :(