Monstera deliciosa sunburns

otorongo

Monstera deliciosa sunburns

Post by otorongo »

I have a potted Monstera that grew indoors for a while. I brought it outside about 2 weeks ago into a shaded spot and it was okay there. A few days ago I moved it to my 'warm corner' which gets the most sun, but I placed it behind a pineapple guava so as to shade it. However, parts of the plants were still getting full late afternoon soon.

When I checked on it after a few days in its new location, I noticed the sun-facing parts of the stem were browned and some leaves had browned patches. I realised it was a 'tan' and moved it into a fully shaded spot this morning.

It looks like the brown patches on the leaves are 'eating' them away, kind of like when the leaves of deciduous trees brown and die in the autumn.

Now I'm wondering if that's something to worry about and whether I should do something about it or just leave it in the shade and let it grow?
Kyle

Re: Monstera deliciosa sunburns

Post by Kyle »

I'm having the same problem with a potted one indoors. Haven't a clue what is the cause but it's not a sun problem as it was positioned at the north side of the house.

I wondered if it was a lack of humidity, so I've put it in the basement (with a window) to see if that helps.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Hmm... It really looks like sunburns to me, because it has only appeared on the sun-exposed parts/sides of the plant. You can literally see the border line between the brown and the green on the stem. I might upload a picture after work.

The lack of humidity may have played a role too. I should have acclimatised it more slowly to the outdoor environment.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

I remember seeing these last year in St Lucia growing to monster proportions up trees. I'd not really taken much notice of them in the past, but now taking an interest in tropical gardening, I was of course stunned at the scale of these and other household plants we grow here. Anyway it would seem their natural habitat is shaded and very humid, I read somewhere to keep out of the sun altogether.

I'm pretty sure Troppoz has these growing up some of his trees, perhaps he will see this and offer his advice :D
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

otorongo wrote:Hmm... It really looks like sunburns to me, because it has only appeared on the sun-exposed parts/sides of the plant. You can literally see the border line between the brown and the green on the stem. I might upload a picture after work.

The lack of humidity may have played a role too. I should have acclimatised it more slowly to the outdoor environment.

Yes, it'd be good to see an image and work out if it's the same problem we've got. I'll do the same.
Been growing a few of these from seed because I thought I might end up losing the one I've got - they were so easy. 100% germination in a week.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I've seen those growing up trees too, in southern Mexico, Madeira and the Puerto de la Cruz gardens in Tenerife.

My long-term plan is to achieve the same effect here in London :) I'm going make a good number of clones or seedlings and plant them in my garden in different microclimates. The ones that survive the winter will be hardy at their locations.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Trudytropics wrote: I'm pretty sure Troppoz has these growing up some of his trees, perhaps he will see this and offer his advice :D

You called? :lol:

Yep its definitely sunburn Otorongo, the patches of dead tissue spread after the damage is done. If you got to it in time you should have limited the damage and the new growth will be fine. If the old leaves are badly damaged Id cut them off an allow the plant to put energy into new growth rather than trying to heal wounds.

Ive seen these growing outdoors in Hobart and developing the prop roots but nothing climbing a tree. If you can keep them frost free I cant see why you couldnt achieve that effect.

Dave has an impressive Monstera, he might have some thoughts too.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Thanks, Troppoz.

The problem is the plant is small, it only has 4 leaves, 2 of which show extensive damage, one has no visible damage, and one only has a very small brown spot. Can I just cut out the damaged parts instead of cutting off the whole leaves? I know it would look ugly...

Apart from the leaves, I also have some burnt stems... might that spread too?
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Burnt leaves:

and the burnt stems:

Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

No dont worry about it, its not badly scorched at all. If those leaves are the worst ones I wouldnt even cut them off, they are fine.

Same with the stem, there is only one minor scorch that I can see, the burns on the petioles could affect the leaves though so keep an eye on them and if they deteriorate cut them off.

Just give it a good dose of high nitrogen fertliser, or even fish emulsion so the oils can coat the leaves and protect them.

I dont think youve got much to worry about icon_thumright
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Here's an image of the damage to my leaves. Is it the same problem or something unrelated?

Cheers

Kyle
Attachments
Monstera patches.jpg
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Kyle thats a sign of root damage, most likely due to wet cold soil. Ideal conditions for pathogens to thrive.

Id repot it into a fresh well drained mix and give it warm and bright conditions. Make sure the pot isnt too large so that you dont get the same problems with cold wet soil.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Troppoz wrote:Kyle thats a sign of root damage, most likely due to wet cold soil. Ideal conditions for pathogens to thrive.

Id repot it into a fresh well drained mix and give it warm and bright conditions. Make sure the pot isnt too large so that you dont get the same problems with cold wet soil.
I'll look at getting that sorted today. Thanks for your help.

Kyle
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

No worries Kyle, thought Id also mention that they shouldnt be left to sit in a tray of water, once again cold wet soil = rotting roots.

It might also benefit from some H2O2 as well to combat any diseases and oxygenate the soil icon_thumright