Heating greenhouses (polycarbonate)

cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Heating greenhouses (polycarbonate)

Post by cheshirepalms »

I purchased a greenhouse last October, and overwinted some small palms,an olive, some citrus, some figs, some pomegranates and a musa bajoo,which all survived (well i had to bring the citrus in on frosty nights) i am now using it for tomatoes and cucumbers and rearing seedlings. However i would like to overwinter frost tender plants all winter like the citrus and any new additions. My minimum in the greenhouse last winter was -5.6 which i think is low for a relatively mild winter in a semi coastal environment under shelter. Is it safe to run a electric greenhouse house heater from my kitchen to the greenhouse with just a circuit breaker? I am thinking a minimum of around 5 degrees. Any thoughts would be great :D
Tom2006

Re: Heating greenhouses (polycarbonate)

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes it certainly is. Get a good one thought that is drip safe and turns itself off if it topples over. I used one like this to heat my poly house in the winter just gone and it worked an absolute treat! icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

So no additional or weatherproof wiring running from the house to the greenhouse?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I just plugged the heater into my power source in my shed and put the heater in my poly house and job was sorted icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

cheshirepalms wrote:I purchased a greenhouse last October, and overwintered some small palms,an olive, some citrus, some figs, some pomegranates and a musa bajoo,which all survived (well i had to bring the citrus in on frosty nights) i am now using it for tomatoes and cucumbers and rearing seedlings. However i would like to overwinter frost tender plants all winter like the citrus and any new additions. My minimum in the greenhouse last winter was -5.6 which i think is low for a relatively mild winter in a semi coastal environment under shelter. Is it safe to run a electric greenhouse house heater from my kitchen to the greenhouse with just a circuit breaker? I am thinking a minimum of around 5 degrees. Any thoughts would be great :D
Don't wast the space on Pomegranates they are as tough as old boots. Mine have been frozen solid in pots for the last three winters. Still looking good. icon_thumright
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

I have 3 pomegranate seedlings which ive grown from seed last summer, they're only 6 inches tall, will they be ok unprotected for winter?
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

Yep, I rigged up a small fan heater in my poly greenhouse. Lowest temperature was about 8C and the heater wasn't on all that much, my electric bill barely changed with this one. I kept the fan on quite a lot to keep the air moving and prevent rot.

I purchased some outdoor cable, a waterproof socket and a breaker. The whole thing including heater cost me about £25!

I did bubble-wrap the interior in December, just in case.
MonkeyDavid

Post by MonkeyDavid »

If you can line the inside with bubble wrap for the winter it will make a HUGE difference to the temps & the amount of time the heater has to be on
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I heat my 10x12 greenhouse every year with a 3kw heater to 10 degree centigrade.For three years a heavy duty extension cable and circuit breaker ran from my kitchen is what powered it and a light and three large propagators. The wire was thicker than a normal extension lead but was not armoured until I sunk it in the ground and ran it through a protective plastic conduit earlier this year.I do bubble wrap my greenhouse which helps a lot in reducing the cost as the first year it was not bubble wrapped and it cost a lot. I find a fan heater that just comes on when the heater comes on rather than running a fan continuously is enough to keep my plants healthy. I keep sixteen different varieties of citrus in their as well as not so hardy palms, bannanas and a whole lot more.I am lucky though as I have a unheated greenhouse for my slightly hardier plants aswell. :)
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Thanks guys i'm off to b n q on monday as there is 20% off this weekend to get armored cable a circuit breaker, a heater and bubble wrap for the winter.