Butia eriospatha in worcestor

Nigel

Butia eriospatha in worcestor

Post by Nigel »

I dont know if Richard Stokes is a member here but I thought his palm is worth showing so people can see whats possible.
Its been in the ground 6 years and has been wrapped up in severe weather but otherwise left to the elements. He says its a fast grower and is surely equal to any Butia eriospatha in Brasil.
Attachments
Erios.jpg
Simba

Re: Butia eriospatha in worcestor

Post by Simba »

That's very impressive...what size was it when planted...?

A centre piece palm like that it what I plan on doing with my Jubaea one day, with my front garden... icon_thumleft
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

Yes that is impressive, I would also be interested to know how big it was when planted.

Unfortunately the one in the foreground looks like mine.

Steve
medjool

Post by medjool »

Hi Nigel
Just one question how is it best to protect these well in winter planted out,also just bought a largish Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and whats the best protection for these? The one down the road from me in Worcester looks fab!
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Nigel, when was the pic taken? the lawn hasn't seen rain for a while, so not recent I take it :lol: :lol:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Thats a great example!, i may be tempted to buy another now as i'm far to impatient to wait for mine to recover, even though i shall not dig it up yet. That eriospatha in the above pic is not that far from me.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

That's good to see, I wonder where abouts in Worcester it is.
I'm amazed it survived THAT winter, i had -18 and near by in pershore had -21 which was the record.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Apparently he recorded -17.4C in dec 2010 , but it was wrapped up well. The pic was taken last august but its undamaged from this winter.
Basically you have to tie up the leaves and put bubble wrap around to keep the cold out when its weather like dec 2010.
Most of the time its completely unprotected.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Has anyone ever seen a Butia or Phoenix canariensis_CIDP grow tall in this country? so far I have seen alot of impressive chunky ones but none of them have made it to the stage of getting a tall trunk yet.
sam140

Post by sam140 »

A PC in Chelston, Torquay has been there since 1900 and is around 40ft ish.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Was gonna date the photo at the top as late summer due to the lavender's appearance.

There's a big Butia along the main road between Beckenham and Bromley. Been there at least 10 years and has survived all the recent winters unprotected, even though CIDPs haven't. Will get a pic next time I'm over that way with my camera.

You can see it on street view but the pic is quite a few years old now (June 2008):
june2008.jpg
The street view pic makes it look smaller than it is due to the high perspective of the google cameras, and it has grown in the last 4 years. So pleased it hasn't carked it!
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

sam140 wrote:A PC in Chelston, Torquay has been there since 1900 and is around 40ft ish.
Got any pictures?

I can't find it in google.
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

Roger, that Butia is only a few streets from me and yes, it is still in fine health and is starting to trunk nicely. I thought the consecutive harsh winters would have at least resulted in spear pull but apparently not. Just goes to show that in the hardy palm world size IS everything.

Steve

Ps I'll also try and get a shot soon - I think I posted this plant here a few years back.
MonkeyDavid

Post by MonkeyDavid »

greendragon wrote:
sam140 wrote:A PC in Chelston, Torquay has been there since 1900 and is around 40ft ish.
Got any pictures?

I can't find it in google.
found these pics on EPS (dated 2011)
CIDPLongViewx1024.jpg
CIDPx1024BACKLIGHT.jpg