Where to get Alocasia Robusta anyone have any ideas

nicebutdim

Where to get Alocasia Robusta anyone have any ideas

Post by nicebutdim »

Every year I try these and this year the usual suppliers don't seem to have them,does anyone know who I can try ,maybe some of our members across the pond know som eone
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Where to get Alocasia Robusta anyone have any ideas

Post by Dave Brown »

NBD, Do you have a huge 2 story hot greenhouse with a hot tub in it.... If not, you won't get it to grow properly. :roll: The write ups are full of disappointed people who couldn't get it to grow. I suspect most suppliers are not bothering if their customers have been unhappy with it before. It needs Tropical heat with a capital T, Borneo Giant is proving to be somewhat less than giant here. Only really being happy with bottom heat. :roll:

These are monsterous beauties, but is it not warm enough here :(
This is where they do best.... a steamy jungle
220508 Alocasia robusta.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by DavidF »

Dave, that pic looks exactly like the conditions in my back garden, so I'd be interested to know where I could get one.

On second thoughts, do you know any good conifer suppliers :)
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

Dave Brown wrote:NBD, Do you have a huge 2 story hot greenhouse with a hot tub in it.... If not, you won't get it to grow properly. :roll: The write ups are full of disappointed people who couldn't get it to grow. I suspect most suppliers are not bothering if their customers have been unhappy with it before. It needs Tropical heat with a capital T, Borneo Giant is proving to be somewhat less than giant here. Only really being happy with bottom heat. :roll:

These are monsterous beauties, but is it not warm enough here :(
This is where they do best.... a steamy jungle
220508 Alocasia robusta.jpg
Dave I do realise they need pampering but I Like the challenge ,if I want something easy then I'll go for roses.I have a consevatory and like to think at least in the summer I can get them to survive or even grow a bit if I accomodate their needs in some small way .
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Agristarts in US are advertising it by the looks of it, but with Defra the way it has been you'll need a phyto so it will be expensive. :roll:

Problem with Alocasia is they need to be kept going to increase the leaf size, and with Borneo Giant, which is said to be far the easier of the two, the leaves grew smaller as it cooled off in Autumn..... well, I exaggerate, it only grew 4 leaves last year, one in spring, two bigger in summer, one smaller in autumn. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Well I have seen it in Kubah National Park west of Kuching, Serawak. But only a few plants there. And needs hot humid conditions all year!

Alexander