Chamaedorea radicalis - when to plant out

darran

Chamaedorea radicalis - when to plant out

Post by darran »

I was given some Chamaedorea radicalis seedlings from Dave at Wisley, they are growing away nicely. I also have another, about 2ft tall that I would like to plant out!

So where is the best place to plant them? What is the ideal soil? Is it best to plant in a large pot that can be bought in for winter? Is 2ft big enough to plant out?

In otherwords any info greatly received regarding growing these palms permanently outside :lol:
GARYnNAT

Re: Chamaedorea radicalis - when to plant out

Post by GARYnNAT »

Darren mine are planted out under my largest Trachycarpus, they need shade from the sun and overhead protection in the winter but other than that seem unfussy, mine at about 18" came through winter unprotected apart from the overhead cover :D

Gary
Neofolis

Post by Neofolis »

They can take more sun than just about any other Chamaedorea and can be adapted to full sun, but filtered shade is the best bet in terms of winter survival and usually gives a healthier looking plant. In terms of when to plant out, as soon as possible. Ideally right after the last frost, so they have as much time as possible to become established before the cold hits again. Overhead canopy will definitely help, but it should be somewhere bright with shade and they like heat, so near a south facing wall is generally good. Soil needs to be well draining, they prefer to stay on the dry side, unless they are in full sun, so if your soil is a heavy/clay type, some modification would be necessary. Given the right setting, assuming you don't see below -6°C/21°F in your area, you shouldn't need to bring them in during winter.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My clump is also under the shade of a Trachycarpus. Here is the pic of May 2007 with one of the two flower spikes visible
120507 Chamaedorea radicalis.jpg
However, it has deteriorated quite significantly looking at it today campared to the pic. I have a pic in December after a -5C and it looked fine then, but I have never known wind like we have had over the last few months. I stood my Caryota himalaya next to the wall the chammy clump sits at the top of, as iit has a habit of being blown over. With the pot against the wall it could not be blown over..... but oh, yes it could :shock: the pot could not move so it blew the palm over in the pot, breaking many roots in the process :roll: It is now staked under the shelter of the covered bit with TLC and palmbooster. :roll:

The chammy has not blown over but has major damage to the leaflets. I am now considering moving it to a place more sheltered from the wind. It has been in the ground for 4 winters now and this is the first damage.

I have no riprning fruit this year as two of the 3 spikes were snapped off by the wind, the other lost more an more fruit as the spring progressed, every gale lost more and at this point, exactly one year after that pic there are no fruit left. :(

So Darran, it wants shade and wind shelter with a well drained humus rich soil. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by darran »

Thanks guys, I am creating a new bed with an overhead evergreen canopy, its in a sunny corner of the garden and protected from the wind on two sides so me thinks this is where it will end up!
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Darran, mine have been out (in pots) for quite a few weeks now.
They are in a shady spot, although it does get sun in the morning and look great, totally untouched even by the recent cold snap. I did notice one evening a few snails making a beeline for them :shock: so maybe that is something to watch out for?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

David, I have not heard of radicalis being a snail snack, but microspadix is for some people. Not me fortunately. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by DavidF »

but microspadix is for some people
Ahh... well maybe that's where they were heading then. They didn't get there :D
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

My radicalis are in deep shade under other planting and they are fine, only ever lost one after it trunked and shot over fence hieght and was then zapped by cold winds and frost.
Yours should be big enough Darran. I have microspadix and elegans with the radicalis as well, luckily mine havent been snail bait but a chopped bark mulch might have helped in stopping that.