Ensete Maurelli not impressed with heatwave, turning SILVER?

cordyman

Ensete Maurelli not impressed with heatwave, turning SILVER?

Post by cordyman »

I hope the colour can be made out on these pics, but I planted this out on Sunday, and after 4 back to back days of clear skies and hotness it looks to be turning silver? icon_scratch

Watered loads everynight

Some kind of leaf scorch due to winter inside?

Tom2006

Re: Ensete Maurelli not impressed with heatwave, turning SIL

Post by Tom2006 »

It looks as if the leaves have been burnt by the sun, as it hasn't been hardened off. It should be fine just give it some time.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

It looks dry.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I'd definitely go with sun burn too, it does dry the leaves out.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Definately sun burn. They are the same as us and become conditioned to sun. My seedling ventricosum have been placed to the north of my big Chamaerops. They are getting sun to about 10:30 then dappled shade to about 15:00 then sun to about 17:30. After about a week they should be hardened off more.

There is nothing you can do with the leaves that are changing colour, as the damage has been done :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

cordyman wrote:I hope the colour can be made out on these pics, but I planted this out on Sunday, and after 4 back to back days of clear skies and hotness it looks to be turning silver? icon_scratch

Watered loads everynight

Some kind of leaf scorch due to winter inside?

They needed hardening off! Not 100% critical in a way with ensetes as they quickly produce new leaves but a palm would be mullered.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

My Alocasia Mayan Mask are doing the same thing despite being hardened off for a fortnight. This sudden massive increase in temperature is great for most plants but not all obviously.
Springy

Post by Springy »

I agree with lack of hardening off before planting out. You would think that hardening off would just be about temperature but it also includes how much direct sunlight a plant can take before it's leaves burn. Even things grown on a window sill could burn as the glass can offer a small degree of protection. icon_sunny
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

my lasiocarpa is behaving oddly the last few days. In the morning its leaf is "open" but as soon as the heat builds up ( it's in full sun) it folds the two halves of the leaf backwards along the central vein............. icon_scratch
Attachments
lasiocarpa (2) (Copy).JPG
lasiocarpa (Copy).JPG
flounder

Post by flounder »

Mine had four 'silver' leaves, new one a lovely dark maroon colour. Mine has been outside, shaded and accustomed gradually. Problem is this sudden 'heatwave' hasn't been gradual!
Going from cloudy, cloudy and wet/cold to hot, hot/windy has done for the leaves but as has been said they soon put out new leaves
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

Yep leaf burn, and you will lose those leaves but any new leaves will be fine and in a few weeks it'll romp away.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

My Basjoos got quite badly sunburned today. I`ve got a clump of about a dozen of them that i planted out a week or two ago. I came home from work today to find a lot of the leaves have turned a silvery colour (like your ensetes Cordy)and look quite sad. I`ve planted them very close together so some of the smaller plants were shaded by the others and still look very green. The taller ones in direct sunlight are trashed though. It has been a very hot day here today though without a cloud.If the weather stays warm they`ll soon push out new leaves so i`m not worried.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Ensetes just taken out of the greenhouse but haven't scorched in this high UV sunshine. They've been cooking in this hot sun and are happy to 'cool off' outside.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

My Ensete looks totally fine, the 2 musa basjoo have curled abit though.
derrick

Post by derrick »

My Ensetes all look ok with the heat but both my fatsia started to droop today and some new leaves looked crispy from lack of water