Cycad flush. AGAIN!

Nigel Fear

Re: Cycad flush

Post by Nigel Fear »

Andy, the older leaves should last around three years before they become too tatty, but with a good flush like your'e getting you can afford to prune at least the lower row, but bare in mind you might not get another flush for another two years.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Cheers Nigel icon_thumleft Like i`ve already said, this is my first Cycad so it`s all a learning curve for me. To be honest, apart from a few fronds that suffered either frost damage or some sunburn, most of the plant still looks very green and healthy. Baring that in mind, i`ll probably leave all the old fronds on. If they start to die back and look bad then i`ll remove them. I`ve still not fed or watered it since it started it`s Flush six days ago. I felt the soil tonight and it was still quite wet so i`m leaving it until i see the soil dry up. When it does i`ll water it well with a high nitrogen feed and maybe add a few chicken pellets. Does this sound ok ????
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

well done andy last year i bought a small cycas great when they flush icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Update Day 8 of Flush.
2012-06-05 20.41.39.jpg
Also looking at the pups at the base of this Cycad, i`m 95% certain that one of these has started to flush too.
Attachments
2012-06-05 20.42.16.jpg
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Andy, the new flush will turn the old fronds into trunk so they'll just go yellow amd eventually fall off themselves. I've left a few on one of mine because they help hide the pots of a few other plants I have in the centre of the garden.

It's personal choice as to whether you cut them off or leave them on. I don't think they look any more unattractive than Yucca skirts.

;)
Bob

Post by Bob »

Nigel Fear wrote:Andy, the older leaves should last around three years before they become too tatty, but with a good flush like your'e getting you can afford to prune at least the lower row, but bare in mind you might not get another flush for another two years.
I've been waiting for the three years I've had mine for it to flush. Bearing out what you say Nigel, the fronds were showing signs of demise when I pulled it from it's overwintering in the GH this spring. Over the three years it's been given the sunniest spot and watered and fed but no flush. The center has always been fairly upwardly pointy so I've been expecting a flush but this year it's definitely swollen into a ball shape so I'm hoping this is the year!

dino

Post by dino »

That definitely looks like it's about to explode icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Mine has looked like that since last June. Every time I think it's about to go it has got cooler and it stops moving.

:roll:
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Andy P wrote:
Nigel Fear wrote:That's looking good, you'll soon not have to worry about the older discoloured leaves. 8)
I`m wondering though, at this stage, whether i will have to remove the older leaves or just leave them be. Sorry for my ignorance but i`ve never had a Cycad before. Will all the old leaves die back now????
Only very gradually over time, starting from the lower rank, it's just a question of aesthetics really, but looking again at the existing ones, you should get another season or two at least out of them yet before they look unsightly compared to the newer emerging fronds.
Last edited by Nigel Fear on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Bob, it certainly looks as if your one is going for it this year. :D
Bob

Post by Bob »

Nigel Fear wrote:Bob, it certainly looks as if your one is going for it this year. :D
Thanks, I hope so Nigel. :bomb:
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Update day 13 of Flush
2012-06-10 20.23.35.jpg
2012-06-10 20.23.23.jpg
Also, the pup i suspected was starting a flush is coming along nicely too.
Attachments
2012-06-10 20.23.54.jpg
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Update Day 18
This is how it looks tonight after 18 days. Also 2 Pups are now in Flush.
Attachments
2012-06-15 19.39.40.jpg
2012-06-15 19.41.06.jpg
2012-06-15 19.41.33.jpg
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Brilliant Andy! Its definitely got a lot of vigour. Just remember not to move it at all until the new leaves are fully unfurled icon_thumright
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Yes it`s staying glued to the spot until it`s finished and the fronds have hardened off Sean. Not sure how long it takes for the fronds to harden though. At the moment they feel really delicate, like New Dicksonia antarctica fronds.