Ensete ventricosum

kata

Ensete ventricosum

Post by kata »

Hell I thought I killed Dave's plant I bought (seedling)

I had it in a pot but then changed my mind and put it in the lawn. Its leaves started going drooped and brown so I had to take it out and repot it again. It was in the ground about two weeks before I panicked.

It seemed to sulk worse by the day. Today its been in the pot a few days (more than a week) and I see its throwing out a new leaf............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Its alive........... icon_cheers icon_cheers

Phew!!! a shadow of its former self but there.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Ensete ventricosum

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote:Hell I thought I killed Dave's plant I bought (seedling)

I had it in a pot but then changed my mind and put it in the lawn. Its leaves started going drooped and brown so I had to take it out and repot it again. It was in the ground about two weeks before I panicked.

It seemed to sulk worse by the day. Today its been in the pot a few days (more than a week) and I see its throwing out a new leaf............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Its alive........... icon_cheers icon_cheers

Phew!!! a shadow of its former self but there.
:ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: Kata :ahhh!:
It's only a baby :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :lol: :lol:

It needs TLC icon_thumleft
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

My son killed mine kata. :-( he put his spade through it! I know he didnt mean it bless him. He was just trying to do some gardening like his daddy. :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Its been warm to hot Dave so I thought it would be ok,

I think now its settled its over the shock. I did have it indoors but it was getting bigger than the kitchen window height had I put it anywhere on the floor it would have lacked light.

The only available window space it had grown out of, the others have blinds and no sill room to speak of.

Sorry you lost yours San, I know how upsetting it can be... :(
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

kata wrote:The only available window space it had grown out of, the others have blinds and no sill room to speak of.
If you are tight for space out-during-the-day (somewhere sheltered from drying wind) and in (utility room or somesuch) at night perhaps?
kata

Post by kata »

There is a place,

Its a dividing partition someone put up between the bungalows in the back , I keep a table there for potting up.

Good one Kristen. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yeah I am very gutted kata to say the least. I am now looking at getting a 1ltr plant as a replacement from j***** seeds. As since seeing daves I have a soft spot for these. :lol:
derrick

Post by derrick »

My little one has done some damage over the years floor cleaner in the pots and broken stems .My Ensete Ventrisosum grows big leaves but a no stem
Attachments
DSCF2377.JPG
kata

Post by kata »

Strange but DB will know why Derrick

icon_study
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

Mine was doing well inside until I planted it out in March in the warm spell we had. It stopped growing almost immediately and has only just started again. On the upside though, I see it has 3 pups so all is not lost.
kata

Post by kata »

Mine seems ok now San, did you buy yours from Dave?

Thats what I di d too Carol, we were too quick... :mrgreen:
Chad

Post by Chad »

carolpz wrote: I see it has 3 pups so all is not lost.
Pups on an Ensete?

Are you sure Carol?

Chad.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Several things here,

1) This is Ensete ventricosum (green form) and as such likes warmer conditions than Maurelii or Montbeliardii.

2) Planted into cold soil, will stop them dead.

2) Gardening was something my kids could do "only when daddy was with them :wink: ".
Chad wrote:
carolpz wrote: I see it has 3 pups so all is not lost.
Pups on an Ensete?

Are you sure Carol?

Chad.
I've had slugs get into the pseudostem on a Maurelii and eat it out down to the rhizome, effectively doing the equivelent of cutting right back to propagate, but leaving all the leaves in place. If conditions are right it could then sprout pups. A bit of a long shot.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

2) Gardening was something my kids could do "only when daddy was with them
Well...... :lol: Aido went into IT, and your daughter is at Uni, not Horticulture I bet. You scared them off Dave.... icon_cheers

Wow about the slugs.... :(
derrick

Post by derrick »

Ensete green has done ok its been outside since march and put out more leaves than my Ensete Maurelii and Ensete Montbeliardii its just a very short stocky plant.