Ensete Idea for people who don't have a greenhouse

greendragon

Ensete Idea for people who don't have a greenhouse

Post by greendragon »

I was thinking of possible ways for people who don't have large greenhouses to get Ensete growing again in spring after dry storing them. This year I'm going to be able to put mine up against a bedroom window which gets a good amount of sun, but next year if it manages to survive it would probably start scraping the top.

I know it would not be as effective as growing them on in a heated greenhouse or indoors, but would it be possible to plant the Ensete out in late march/early april, then immediatly rig up chicken wire/straw protection like what is used on Musa Basjoo. This way the Ensete could begin to grow again but at night straw could be re-packed around the top along with fleece to protect from spring cold snaps.

Any thoughts?

:lol: :oops:
GoggleboxUK

Re: Ensete Idea for people who don't have a greenhouse

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Restarted 2 of my Ensete this year in a room at the back of the house that gets no sun through the window at all.

They really don't need all that much light to start them off, water is more important really and only minimal amounts of that are needed, the dampness in compost is enough.

I think those without a greenhouse would be better advised not to bring them out of storage until later so they don't get huge before the risk of frost has passed. I made this mistake this year and mine were started off way too early leading to them getting planted out too early and I lost3 or 4 leaves on each as well as setting them back a fair way too.

If you're going to struggle for space then why not do as Arlon did and chop them right back so they look like felled tree stumps. That way you'll be able to get new growth from the base rather than having a tall plant with leaves starting halfway up the P-stem.

;)
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

If they can handle less than 50% direct sunlight per day during the restart then I can just move them off the windowsill.

:)

The guest bedroom is going to look wierd though.
:? icon_aaargh
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Definitely! Mine were on the floor below a north facing window, no sun comes through and there's a bamboo outside that blocks half the window when it rains.

Obviously they would be better off in front of a window where light streams through as much as possible but lower light levels for a month or so won't hurt while they are starting up again.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Mine did nothing outside but once in my dining room, south facing but out of direct sunlight they rocketed away in just a few days!! Done nothing much since going outside again due to the horrific weather!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I think they would be more likely to rot outside in cold & wet (even if sheltered by straw etc. the soil will be "miserable"), and somewhere indoors will be better - if they don't get enough light they'll just elongate a bit trying to reach it, if its a cool, rather than hot, room in the house they ain't going to grow much before weather improves.

If you are in a position to put outside on "nice" days in spring, and bring in at nights (and leave in on miserable / blowy days) then they will get plenty enough light on days out to keep them looking good.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I've been growing these since 1980, and full sun is the only way to get strong plants. Leaves grown without sun, inside, snap at the petiole at the first puff of wind.

My spare bedroom overwintered Ensete ventricosum in May 1982, with most leaves snapped at the petiole :roll:
Attachments
E ventricosum Thistledown.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by greendragon »

Hmm, i guess I could move them in and out on sunny days.

This would work for the first 2 seasons but what happens if you manage to keep one going long enough to have one the size of Dave's Monti and you can't even fit it through the door when the leaves start growing. I will end up having to try using the Musa Basjoo protection style on Ensete for spring. I can just take on/off a waterproof cover depending on wether or not it rains too heavily.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

greendragon wrote:Hmm, i guess I could move them in and out on sunny days.

This would work for the first 2 seasons but what happens if you manage to keep one going long enough to have one the size of Dave's Monti and you can't even fit it through the door when the leaves start growing. I will end up having to try using the Musa Basjoo protection style on Ensete for spring. I can just take on/off a waterproof cover depending on wether or not it rains too heavily.
Mine was fleeced, but with -3.9C in April :ahhh!: the leaves were frosted through the fleece. Ensete Maurelii and 'Montbeliardii' can take leaves frosting in spring, but what they can't take, is staying cold. They get frosts in Ethiopia but the day time temps are above 10C and mostly nearer 25C.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Dave in Warrington »

greendragon wrote:but would it be possible to plant the Ensete out in late march/early april, then immediatly rig up chicken wire/straw protection like what is used on Musa Basjoo. This way the Ensete could begin to grow again but at night straw could be re-packed around the top along with fleece to protect from spring cold snaps.

Any thoughts?

:lol: :oops:
A thought for anyone who is thinking an Ensete is for one season only when you don't have a greenhouse,

During the winter 2006/07 I managed to overwinter an Ensete in a large pot outside on the patio. Apart from the fact the winter was 'average' and the stem was lagged in old carpet but a large airspace between the carpet and stem. The whole pot was covered on plastic, no water could get in from the first winter frost until spring.
Effectively cool dry storage on the patio !

EDIT: Found the thread on here, half way down the page, large blue pot, sorry the pic is posted on it's side but you'll see what I mean ... It can be done in the UK, 2012/13 winter permitting

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... t=maurelli
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

greendragon wrote: what happens if you manage to keep one going long enough to have one the size of Dave's Monti and you can't even fit it through the door when the leaves start growing
I know you'd like to have a big'un, but if you manage to keep one for 2 seasons you could then flog it on eBay any buy a replacement - and probably some other choice plants on the proceeds
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Kept mine in the loft winter just gone and all was fine. Used some sulphur on the roots and sat them in a cardboard box. All is well.....IF we ever get a summer to get them growing that is :roll:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I don't class having a greenhouse as an essential part of growing an Ensete. I chopped mine right back and kept in a storage cupboard with sulphur powder.

Like gogs says nothing stopping you cutting the height to size to suit storage in the houe.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:I don't class having a greenhouse as an essential part of growing an Ensete.
No it is not essential, but not having one, when trying to grow exotics, is like lining up for the 100m sprint with both your legs tied together :ahhh!: You will make it to the end eventually :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by greendragon »

Well there are plenty of exotics which can be overwintered outside. Its just big bananas and alocasia that are near impossible.

Thats why you comandeer your parents coservatory. :-D