Washingtonia Robusta as a house plant!

cordyman

Washingtonia Robusta as a house plant!

Post by cordyman »

My mum never got round to putting her washy outside after winter, its under a bright bay window and she waters it EVERY day :shock:

Look great as a houseplant I think and very healthy.

derrick

Re: Washingtonia Robusta as a house plant!

Post by derrick »

Looks happy Cordy hows yours doing
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

Looking very healthy. Wish mine looked like that.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Cant say that its not happy with its circumstances, but I have to say I really like the wicker basket its in icon_thumleft
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Thats really nice, I agree with Sean that the basket looks great icon_thumleft .
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

:D What happens in a few years when it's touching the celing.
Chamaerops would be a better option surely.
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

I might try one in the conservatory, I have about 20 that I've done from seed, I'm just waiting for the first fan leaf to emerge.
What other 'outdoor' palms would make good houseplants?
Dave Remnant

Post by Dave Remnant »

I read/heard somewhere that Washies don't like overwintering indoors due to heat and not enough moving air. I was preparing to keep mine under my alleyway which has a roof. It will keep them cool, not cold and plenty of air while providing shelter from direct frost.

I sowed about 100 washie seeds that I collected off a 30ft high mature plant in Ibiza. The seeds were 3 years old but I got nearly 100% germination. So I have a lot of 2 year old seedlings if anyone is interested. Is that unusual as I thought older seeds lead to less successful germination?

Evidence is in the photo but presumably other people have had issues overwintering these previously?
rajah99

Post by rajah99 »

tropical Tom wrote:What other 'outdoor' palms would make good houseplants?

I bought a lovely 50cm tall livistona from Crews Hill Garden club. It looks great indoors, and is growing nicely! Just keep the soil moist and the leaves misted now and again. But the razors on the stems are utterly vicious!

http://www.groen.net/uploadedImages/liv ... ifolia.jpg
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Dave Remnant wrote:I read/heard somewhere that Washies don't like overwintering indoors due to heat and not enough moving air. I was preparing to keep mine under my alleyway which has a roof. It will keep them cool, not cold and plenty of air while providing shelter from direct frost.

I sowed about 100 washie seeds that I collected off a 30ft high mature plant in Ibiza. The seeds were 3 years old but I got nearly 100% germination. So I have a lot of 2 year old seedlings if anyone is interested. Is that unusual as I thought older seeds lead to less successful germination?

Evidence is in the photo but presumably other people have had issues overwintering these previously?
I think the key is to water everyday, to combat central heating, and lack of air circulation indoors.

greendragon wrote::D What happens in a few years when it's touching the celing.
Chamaerops would be a better option surely.
No biggy, i'll take it off her, and buy her a smaller one to replace with, but as she won't be keeping it in a massive pot I think it will take a long time to outgrow drunken_smilie1

derrick wrote:Looks happy Cordy hows yours doing

Ill find some pics, it went downhill after being kept indoors. Its outside now and got two new spears, but its well behind the health of hers. Similar south facing bay windows as per my mums, but the main difference I watered mine once a week, she watered everyday. Perhaps the key to overwintering washies indoors is water everyday to keep them from drying out?
Steph

Post by Steph »

Give it some time outside each summer, any plant is OK inside for a while but not forever.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

after all winter in house

tonight, the spear on the right is newly opened, on the left is the only leaf to survive winter indoors!

I really think my watering once a week is the key factor between mine and mums post winter healthyness of plant