Brugmansia and Stuff

Adrian

Re: Brugmansia and Stuff

Post by Adrian »

A good daily soak with either added tomorite or miricle grow, I use both.
I have cut Knightii back to a frame now as it was badly laced and look bad even though it was still flowering its heart out.
Langenbuscher Garten has been poor this year so Charles Grimaldi has regained its spot as best performer.
Steph

Post by Steph »

My mistake was giving them good manure in the compost when I repotted them in the spring, I have leaves to die for but nil flowers... Nitrogen, far too much - will never make that mistake again!
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Beautiful plants Ade, they look great icon_thumleft

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thanks Di, they really are easy plants so long as you keep that water and feed going and have them in big pots.
dino

Post by dino »

Got bloody Red Spider Mite on mine. What do you all find best to treat this? I've tried Provado.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Are they outside ?
Never had Red Spider Mite in all the years Ive grown Brugs, mind you, Ive never grown them inside.
If your plants are covered in Red Spider Mite and they are outside just cut the leaves off and reduce the plant to the frame you want to start next year with, they'll not do much more this year anyway.
If your plants are inside them chuck them outside fast, you dont want Red Spider Mite inside for winter.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i guess it is too damp in the cellar where i overwinter mine for Red Spider Mite but i get aphids all over them.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

What treatment do you use for overwintering ken ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

treatment ?
They just need cutting back to a frame, I cut mine to a bud or two on each branch past the fork and then put them away either in the heated greenhouse, the garage or one of our works storage units.
Leave them all but dry and they'll sit happily until spring.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

pretty much,

dig up and cut back then leave in the cellar , i don't think i needed to water it at all last winter.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

just chucked in a pot a put in the cellar ? is it cold and is there any light ?. when do you dig it up ??? before the frost ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I just cut mine back to a frame, too. They are then stacked pot on pot in the coldest corner of the frost-free greenhouse
and kept bone dry until about February when leaf tips start to appear. I then get them restarted with increasing amounts of warm water.
I
Julia

Post by Julia »

I've been reading this thread about brugs. What a stunning plant!!
So I ordered a cutting off eBay an it arrived today :)
What does cutting it to the frame mean? :oops:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

GREVILLE wrote:I just cut mine back to a frame, too. They are then stacked pot on pot in the coldest corner of the frost-free greenhouse
and kept bone dry until about February when leaf tips start to appear. I then get them restarted with increasing amounts of warm water.
I
icon_thumleft
AKA - Martin

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Julia wrote: What does cutting it to the frame mean? :oops:
In my case its pruning the plant back to leave just the stem and a bud or two of the main branches.