Greenhouse info\help

The Codfather

Greenhouse info\help

Post by The Codfather »

I am looking now to buy a greenhouse.......and my head is battered like a proper cod ! icon_fish .

To help get me through this winter and fit in with my garden, kids, wife budget etc...... I am starting with a 6x4 ....yes, I know bigger is better....but at the moment... it is, what it is......which in honesty should be fine as I got everything through in the garage last year so this will just make things a little easier. (The same as YK)

Anyway, I have looked at the pro's and con's to what I think is correct for my situation and decided to get pollycarb one......I am unsure of the colour silver is a little cheaper than the green one's.....but I think green will be a little easier to blend in.

I no nothing about brands etc......so any help woul be appreciated on that.

I have looked at the gardman http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARDMAN-6x4-A ... 35bdebc9b2 but it has no window in it !

I have seen this one which does http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x4-Greenhous ... 56445386a7 but am unsure if it looks as stong looking at the fixings in some of the pics......yet the reviews on it from buyers are good.

I will be buying extra clips for it to hold in the pollycarb to help stop the pannels getting blown out.

I would like to hear what you all have\comments etc.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
GaryW

Re: Greenhouse info\help

Post by GaryW »

Will you be heating it ? Will you use it all year round ?
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Yes, it will be heated in th winter and I may make use of it in the summer.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

I would check some built ones out in the flesh at the local garden centres. Some are ok, others look like the glazing would blow out too easily to me. Also consider if it includes a base, and the height of the eaves and ridge too. Good luck ! icon_thumright

PS : 6X4 IS TOO SMALL GET 6X6 AT LEAST !! :mrgreen:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

A lot is possible with a 6 by 4 check out what I grow! Saying that bigger is always better and you will always fill it no matter what.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Big as you can fit in or you'll regret it later.
Glass is better than polycarb for light and looks much nicer.
If you can get one then cedar beats ally.
Get an automatic roof vent and side louvre if possible.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

This one will have to be 6x4.........

Once the Kids have grown up and I empty the play area then I will have room for a larger one then.

I did not fancy glass becasu of the kids......kids,toys and glass dont mix.

I have seen some wood ones (which I would love) but even at 6x4 they are about £600 :shock:
AKA - Martin

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Check the free ads, greenhouses are always offered.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I have been checking them and ebay for 6 month.... :(
AKA - Martin

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Just think about something bigger, is there any way to get one in the space? I had a 6x4 as my first greenhouse in this garden (I left a great old cedar 6x8 at the old house) and it was ok for a very short time before I out grew it, luckily I got to swap it 13/14 years ago for a 6x8 and thats really the minimum size to be able to do anything in.
OK so Kris is happy with his 6x4 but give it as much thought as you can as you need bigger.
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

Hi Cod,

I bought a polycarbonate one earlier this year on eBay and it was a bloody nightmare. It wasn't the cheapest of the bunch for the size I was after (6x8 - already running out of room btw) but it seemed to check all the right boxes.

Assembling it nearly broke my spirit... it is crappy quality and the instructions were about as useful as a glass hammer. I'm not sure if I can name the company on here but if you want to know, PM me and I'll tell you.

After several weeks I managed to get the bloody thing up and I'm moderately happy with it but in retrospect I wish I'd paid a bit more and gotten something better quality.

Good luck!!
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

You did a good job on your pergola Coddy, why not build your own?

If you stick a permanent roof on it then it's a great place to sit out even when the weather is like it is now.

;)
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

GoggleboxUK wrote:You did a good job on your pergola Coddy, why not build your own?

If you stick a permanent roof on it then it's a great place to sit out even when the weather is like it is now.

;)
i have thought about it.......and even thought about buying a shed and converting it.....

food for thought.
AKA - Martin

GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I bet you could get a shed and greenhouse parts from Freecycle. Arlon's Sheenhouse works well and you could copy that design on a smaller scale if you can position it the right way like he did.

Go on, we need another build to watch.

:DD
flounder

Post by flounder »

Glass is best, works out cheaper on a budget as well. try the friday-ad, theres always some cheap coming up in there(buyer to remove). If you're that worried about the glass, put a rickety...I'm mean picket fence around it to keep the young ones away from the base panels.