Paulownia Tomentosa

Dan L

Paulownia Tomentosa

Post by Dan L »

First year of growing from stooled trunk. Did not expect this, but its chucking out 90cm long leaves! Not sure if this is because of all the wet weather. Has anyone else had better than normal results with leaf size on these this year?
Attachments
SAM_0338.JPG
Tom2006

Re: Paulownia Tomentosa

Post by Tom2006 »

That looks great!! Fancy trying to grow one myself.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

That's great growth :)

Mine looks keek :( I have been growing it for 10 years and it really looks rubbish :lol:
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

I can only hope that the babies I've grown from seed this year one day look as good as that icon_thumleft
Dan L

Post by Dan L »

Thanks. Dunno what i did right here, but to prove the leaf's are that size...
Attachments
SAM_0349.JPG
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Growth is down on previous years here, so any advantage from more water has been more than outweighed by lack of warmth and sun. Where as it normally holds it's leaves right down the stem, it is shedding them like it does in autumn :roll: Had a complete lack of spring, which has then turned to a dismal summer so not surprising really. :(
Attachments
2012-07-16 Paulownia 2011-12.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I'm surprised I've had any growth at all from mine after uprooting it from the raised bed under the conifers and potting it up for 3 months then replanting it in the ground. It's done OK considering, smaller leaves than last year but it still looks nice.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Dave Brown wrote:Growth is down on previous years here, so any advantage from more water has been more than outweighed by lack of warmth and sun. Where as it normally holds it's leaves right down the stem, it is shedding them like it does in autumn :roll: Had a complete lack of spring, which has then turned to a dismal summer so not surprising really. :(

i think it looks nicer this year, with a standard type shape.

i don't know why but i have always not been keen on stooled Paulownia Tomentosa, i don't think it looks 'right' in and exotic garden.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:Growth is down on previous years here, so any advantage from more water has been more than outweighed by lack of warmth and sun. Where as it normally holds it's leaves right down the stem, it is shedding them like it does in autumn :roll: Had a complete lack of spring, which has then turned to a dismal summer so not surprising really. :(

i think it looks nicer this year, with a standard type shape.

i don't know why but i have always not been keen on stooled Paulownia Tomentosa, i don't think it looks 'right' in and exotic garden.
Each to their own, but when I've posted general pics of the garden, it has generated lots interest, with "wow, what's that plant with the big leaves" It is, by far,the largest leafed tree we can grow, but loses the size if not cut back and limited to one shoot.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Dan L »

Dave Brown wrote:Growth is down on previous years here, so any advantage from more water has been more than outweighed by lack of warmth and sun:(
I've been regularly sprinkling loads of chicken poo nearby & around the base. So must be down to this why i'm getting such big leaves. With it's high N content it seemed like the obvious choice though.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Dan L wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:Growth is down on previous years here, so any advantage from more water has been more than outweighed by lack of warmth and sun:(
I've been regularly sprinkling loads of chicken poo nearby & around the base. So must be down to this why i'm getting such big leaves. With it's high N content it seemed like the obvious choice though.
I think you'll find that the average nutrient content of chicken poo is 3-3-3 which is very low level, but is constant, which many plants like :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

Dave Brown wrote:

It is, by far,the largest leafed tree we can grow,

i didn't know that
Edo

Post by Edo »

I dont chop my paulownia down, but this year growth is much better than previous, even we had records high temperatures, so some of the leafs turned yellow. Now its much cooler and there is some rain too.
I think it likes cooler summers.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Edo wrote: I think it likes cooler summers.
It's all relative Edo..... cool comapred to 40C yes, but cool as in 17C no :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Are these winter hardy and what growing condition do they like ???? I may have to hunt one down as I am in desperate need of some height in my garden.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !