Four garden pics

Trainer John

Four garden pics

Post by Trainer John »

I've been doing some photography this morning in preparation for a longer blog posting so here's four photos to show how the rear garden is developing as of the end of July.

Two shots from upstairs to show arrangement of the top part of the rear:
Rear_garden_307012_MG_0933.JPG
Rear_garden_307012_MG_0935.JPG
The little pool garden behind the cordyline and bamboo:
Rear_garden_307012_MG_0919.JPG
And a closer shot of cordyline/camellia/bamboo screen area that converts the pool garden into a hidden space:
Rear_garden_307012_MG_0905.JPG
Click the pictures to embiggen.

I need to renovate and replant the area where I have a mass of Crocosmia 'Lucifer' but that's a job for later in the year.
eddie

Re: Four garden pics

Post by eddie »

Great garden and great pics !

Beautifull cordyline ! icon_thumleft

What's the plant on the left of the cordy with the white flowers ?

Really nice looking place you've got there icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
call

Post by call »

cool garden looking at that musa makes me want my new one to grow leaves now :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Looking in great condition John,

Lovely Images!
Love that plant. Hope John has the name to hand Eddie...like paws.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Trainer John

Post by Trainer John »

eddie wrote:Great garden and great pics !

Beautifull cordyline ! icon_thumleft

Really nice looking place you've got there icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
Cordyline is 'Coffee Cream' and plant to the left is Hydrangea aspera var sargentiana. Grown for it's big velvety leaves but it flowers well at this time of year althought the heads don't last that long.

Here's the foliage. Each leaf is about 9-10 inches long:
Hydrangea_aspera_sargentiana_MG_0555.JPG
and the flower heads:
Hydrangea_aspera_sargentiana_MG_0879.JPG
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Good looking garden John icon_thumright I also was going to ask about the flowers but was going to say the lilac flowers. I presume it is a lacecap Hydrangea.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Excellent planting there John, a lovely natural looking garden.

I've been after a brightly coloured, non-green Phormium myself. Is yours a Jester? I've been umming and ahhing between that, Pink Panther and the Rainbow Maiden varieties as they contrast so well with evergreens.

Whichever yours is, I want one!

;)
Trainer John

Post by Trainer John »

Dave Brown wrote:Good looking garden John icon_thumright I also was going to ask about the flowers but was going to say the lilac flowers. I presume it is a lacecap Hydrangea.
Yes, it's one I bought as 'Midnight Blue' (very cheaply in a sale :D) but I can find no reference to it anywhere. However, it's got black stems so is probably 'Nigra' or something similar. It should take about two more years to turn blue on my soil. Basically it was a cheap filler added last year to occupy a big gap after the terrible winters so will probably come out after I grow on something else to replace it. Unless it truly is a good blue - then it can stay.

As far as hydrangeas go I much prefer the pure white 'Mme Emile Mouillere' (middle back in the first shot) which, very unusually for an hydrangea, flowers on new wood as well as the previous season's buds. It's usually in flower from June to October - often earlier and later - and can be cut back at any time. Here's a shot. Hedychium 'Pink Hybrid' to the side, Parthenocissus henryana behind.
Hedychium_Hydrangea_MG_0432.JPG
Trainer John

Post by Trainer John »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Excellent planting there John, a lovely natural looking garden.

I've been after a brightly coloured, non-green Phormium myself. Is yours a Jester? I've been umming and ahhing between that, Pink Panther and the Rainbow Maiden varieties as they contrast so well with evergreens.

Whichever yours is, I want one!

;)
It's 'Evening Glow'. It's been in the ground about ten years, has never flowered - and comfortably survived the recent bad winters. Here's a more detailed shot:
Phormium 'Evening Glow'
Phormium 'Evening Glow'
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks for the info and the pic John, I'll be ordering one of those.

;)
dino

Post by dino »

Great balance of plants. I've got an 'Evening Glow' too and they look great alongside the green plants.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Great garden John.

The planting and the hard landscaping work really well together.

I really like the big leaved Hydrangea. I have a Hydrangea aspera macrophylla. An old Acer has recently died and I have a perfect space for one. May go for the aspera sargentiana or aspera Kawakamii.

I used to live in Plymouth in the 70s, up in Manadon, just down from the Royal Naval college.
Trainer John

Post by Trainer John »

Adam D wrote:
I used to live in Plymouth in the 70s, up in Manadon, just down from the Royal Naval college.
About a mile southwards from me. The college is no more - just housing. I moved here in '74 to do my doctorate and sort of stayed. Two marriages later I'm still here.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Trainer John wrote: Two marriages later I'm still here.
I'm assuming your doctorate is in law if you've managed to hold on to your house through two marriages.

:lol:
Trainer John

Post by Trainer John »

GoggleboxUK wrote:
Trainer John wrote: Two marriages later I'm still here.
I'm assuming your doctorate is in law if you've managed to hold on to your house through two marriages.

:lol:
I knew I'd picked the wrong subject :D

New wife, new house - bought it cheap in 1996 (ex council house).