Agapanthus finally flower

dino

Agapanthus finally flower

Post by dino »

At last, my Agapanthus have flowered after 2 years. Worth waiting for but shame no sun for the picture icon_cheers
Attachments
agapanthus pic.jpg
agapanthus pic.jpg (44.93 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
Nigel Fear

Re: Agapanthus finally flower

Post by Nigel Fear »

Nice pic, I like the way it leans forward towards the light.
Must be a good year for Agapanthus, I've seen quite a few more this year too, well worth the wait. :D
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Mine have been very poor this year, not sure why, yet to get a flower. :(
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Are they newly planted just in the last year or two or are they well established plants that have been there a long while ?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mine was a freebie from Amulree on a visit back in 2008. Flowered 2010, but was really clobbered by the winter. Slowly rebuilt in 2011 but no flowers, then this year 12 flower heads and has been a picture from mid June. Taken loads of pics, but not had time to load any.

There are some good new varieties about. One I saw at the weekend was 'Dark Night' a really deep blue :wink:
Here are a couple of pics of mine this year icon_thumright
Attachments
2012-08-01-17-03-10 Agapanthus in sun.jpg
2012-08-01-17-02-34 Agapanthus multihead.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Lovely plants Dave!

Mine from last year's Homebase cheap bin flowered, not as big as yours but next year they should be better.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
dino

Post by dino »

JBALLY wrote:Are they newly planted just in the last year or two or are they well established plants that have been there a long while ?
Planted two years ago but were established pot plants then bursting with roots. Bought from Vales.
kite567

Post by kite567 »

My two were planted out something like 10 years ago. The large, blue flowered one is a Marksandspenceris and has never received any winter protection. It's essentially herbaceous, all leaves dying back to ground level.

The smaller, white flowered one keeps its leaves throughout the winter. As a result of this, I give a little protection mainly of bubble polythene which is removed immediately when temperatures rise.

Both have flowered freely every year, the blue one better than the white. Having said that, the white one is putting on a superb display this year.
Attachments
SNV39565.JPG
SNV39566.JPG
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

They are lovely Dino and everyone else's, I like the white one's Kite, I might try them. Ive had a great year for Agapanthus, some ive had a few year, and some just planted last Autumn..

Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I have here some good selections from thew Hessenhof, a good Dutch nursery. You should start with a good selected variaty. One of my Agapanthus got up to 170 cm high erect flowering stalks with good dark blue flowers! I will harvesst the seeds of that one. From good clones you can grow good offspring.

But sadly at gardencenters here they sell a lot of crappy Agapanthus...

Alexander
simon

Post by simon »

I was given my first Agapanthus 4 or 5 years ago by Bodster (for those that remember him). It was a small seed grown plant he had germinated from seed collected from his own plant. I remember him refering to as his big Agapanthus. I was getting bored of waiting for it to flower so two years ago I bought 3 more at Lower Kennnegy while on holiday in Cornwall.

One of them flowered last year but this year they all flowered including Bodster's one.

This is the one that flowered last year, producing 20 stems this year. I believe it is A. Castle of Mey.

This one with a single bloom was simply labelled Agapanthus 'White'

Unfortunately I never recorded the name of this one. The flowers are much darker than the photo suggests.

Finally, Bodster's Agapapanthus turned out to be a white one with georgeous big blooms. Worth the wait I think.
cannondale28

Post by cannondale28 »

I have had some sucess with the Headborne Hybrids variety. These Agapanthus are in pots and are planted outside, all year, as Agapanthus are suppose to like their roots nice and tight. Smaller flower but easy to grow.
I live where the ground is heavy and there's a lot of frosts. Not good.

Jerry
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Excellent news Dino! After moving ours last year I thought we may have to wait a year or 2 before it flowered again but it has 2 flowers now. They're gorgeous!

Ness
dino

Post by dino »

They obviously like water even more than sun icon_thumleft