Rhodochiton

derrick

Rhodochiton

Post by derrick »

Rhodochiton flowering in my conservatory any one grown one before ?
Attachments
DSCF2909.JPG
DSCF2911.JPG
Kristen

Re: Rhodochiton

Post by Kristen »

I've grown one from seed this year. Still a weedy little thing though, and not ready for flowering yet. Only got one plant from the seed packet - but its probably just me?
derrick

Post by derrick »

Me to Kirsten only one seed it was slow outside so its inside now the flowers look a little dodgy its got two names to this plant
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Yes Derrick, they're lovely plants. I pot grew one a while back before the recent bad Winters. I found the leaves looked a lot healthier, greener when in a shadier spot in the garden. The year before it was practically in a full sun position and didn't look so healthy, more washedout. It flowered for me over a long period of time over the Summer and I loved it. I tucked it away against the house over Winter - but as I say, this was before the bad run of Winters.

I tried again from seed last year, but they never germinated :(

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
derrick

Post by derrick »

How tall do they get DiCasS i like the plant ?
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

It was hard to say the eventual size Derrick as I had it in a decent size pot with bamboo sticks in to make a wigwam. It travelled up the sticks and back down again making quite a dense plant, though I can remember planting more than one seedling in the pot. I suppose height to the top of the sticks (icluding pot) was about 5ft ish. I gave my friend one as well, and hers came through the Winter that year too.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
billo

Post by billo »

Best grown as an annual Rhodochiton can easily reach 5 to 6ft with hundreds of flowers per plant. Grown 3 or 4 plants on a frame in a good size pot & the display is superb. In open ground it can scramble in good conditions.

This plant probably had the most Politically incorrect name in existence. A question on 'Gardeners Question Time' caused apoplexy in the Chattering Classes - It was known as 'Black Mans Willy' until we became aware of Ethnic Minority sensibilities.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

billo wrote:Best grown as an annual Rhodochiton can easily reach 5 to 6ft with hundreds of flowers per plant. Grown 3 or 4 plants on a frame in a good size pot & the display is superb. In open ground it can scramble in good conditions.
I've read of that in several posts (and other forums) but sadly my single plant, grown only in the greenhouse so far, hasn't put on anything like that sort of growth. Dunno what I am doing wrong though :(

I can't remember when I sowed it, maybe I started it rather late, and maybe if I can store my own seed my germination rate will be better next year and give me enough plants to grow a "clump"
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Gorgeous plant, what a unique flower. I can definitely understand why it got its rather un-PC name :lol:
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

I bought a couple of BMW’s :lol: as plug plants this summer… there about 5ft and flowering their little heads off at the mo. :)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Palmer wrote:I bought a couple of BMW’s :lol: as plug plants this summer…
I wonder if that's a better idea than trying to raise my own from seed? Or am I being a wimp?
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Not at all Kristen… when I try to germinate seed of exotic annuals I either get loads germinating or nothing at all.
The two plug plants cost 75p each so £1.50 for the two… a packet of seeds would cost more than that I’m sure and i could end up with none or more then i need!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Palmer wrote:when I try to germinate seed of exotic annuals I either get loads germinating or nothing at all.
Good point, that's been my experience too. Maybe saving my own seed, and knowing its viability will prove better (once I get one to flower!)

I'm never sure how fresh the (exotic) seed is that I buy - depends when in the year I buy it, and whether the season for the vendor's supplier are opposite hemisphere and 6 months adrift, and so on. I don't find much indication on the seed packets about a "best before date" either, whereas on big-brand vegetable seed packets I see both the year of packing and a recommendation of how long the viability is (although I have bought some low-viability exotic seeds that have clearly stated "sow immediately" :) )
LONGK

Post by LONGK »

In my experience collected seed will always germinate better than bought seed. The bought seed is husked (not sure if that term is correct?) and minute, whereas the self collected seed still has its protective coat on so I reckon that the embryo starts to form inside and is stronger when it emerges. I usually start them off late January/early February time. Always grow my seedlings indoors as they appear to dislike cold at this stage and will sulk for the rest of the year. By April they're ready to spend their days outdoors.

Mine is a metre and a half now, covered in blooms and will continue to do so up to the first frosts. I used to over-winter them in a frost free garage well enough, and may well try again this year if I can untangle it from the support (and the Sollya that it is now growing in as well).
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Often tried these and found them variable, both as seed and bought plants. Only managed to overwinter one plant and the following year it was reluctant to flower again.

Innovative as ever, Christopher Lloyd used to train these through Butia.