Overbecks garden, Salcombe

Trainer John

Overbecks garden, Salcombe

Post by Trainer John »

For anyone who hasn't been to Overbecks down here in Devonshire I've put together a 10minute video of the garden I shot on Thursday. It was my first outing with my newly acquired Canon 600D and the first time I've tried to put together a DSLR shot video so apologies for shaky camera work, poor editing and all the other marks of a raw amateur. You'll find it on my blog or the direct link is http://youtu.be/hWoLwH_E3MY.

They've had Furcrea parmentieri in flower this summer and although the flowers have mostly faded the 11.5ft infloresence is still pretty impressive. Should be lots of baby Furcreas from the masses of plantlets that develop after the flowers. Also lots of trachies, bananas, hedychium and other interesting stuff on show in one of my favourite gardens.
GREVILLE

Re: Overbecks garden, Salcombe

Post by GREVILLE »

Thanks for sharing this, John.

I dug out my colour prints from my visit fifteen years ago and compared them to your vid. The exotic planting is much more generous now and the Trachycarpus steps are even more impressive now that they are much taller.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Looks quite impressive, must put it on my to do list next time I'm down that way icon_thumleft
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Very nice John! :D I've never been but it looks like it's worth visiting if or when we're down that way.
Greville- How about showing your pics so we can compare too :?: Pretty please :lol:

Ness
Trainer John

Post by Trainer John »

GREVILLE wrote:Thanks for sharing this, John.

I dug out my colour prints from my visit fifteen years ago and compared them to your vid. The exotic planting is much more generous now and the Trachycarpus steps are even more impressive now that they are much taller.
I must get some of my old slides scanned - I'm sure I've got some shots of Overbecks hidden away on film. It would be interesting to compare.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

HarryandNess wrote: Greville- How about showing your pics so we can compare too :?: Pretty please :lol:

Ness
Sorry, I haven't a clue how to put prints into a file :oops: :oops: :oops: I know there is a way but even the digital camera is not compatible with this laptop and I've a load of pics on that to file, so Sand (quite rightly) has given me the software and told me to get on with it icon_scratch I'll never learn how to do it otherwise.

I must have hundreds of pics from all the gardens we've visited taken on my old SLR. In the meantime, John, you get to work with your slides.... take as long as you need.....you have all the time in the world....don't rush it.... :lol: :lol:
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

A scanner is the best way to get prints onto a computer, so if you have one or know someone who has one it's well worth it. icon_thumleft
Also, does your digital camera have a memory card (about 2.5 x 3.5cms). Most laptops these days have a slot where you insert the card, to get your pics directly. If you have a recent 'Windows' you don't need further software either.

Ness
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Nice vid John, must visit, may be next summer.
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Great video icon_thumleft SNAP....I'll have to start writing a list of all the places I need/want to visit.....