How to be put off growing Tropicals!

Conifers

How to be put off growing Tropicals!

Post by Conifers »

tropicalwon

Re: How to be put off growing Tropicals!

Post by tropicalwon »

Brilliant way to promote exotic gardening............Rock on icon_thumleft .........scratched--stabbed--Poisoned--eventual death......please enjoy your gardening.......or not!!!!!!!! :lol:

Just love it.....
simon

Post by simon »

Ouch! I feel his pain.

My garden is relatively benign from this perspective, but I have often had my hands torn to shreds when trying to remove old dead leaves from Chamaerops humilis and Dasylirion seratifolium. I may be foolish for doing it without gloves but I find that the gloves keep catching on the spines and you get stuck it there.

My Euphorbias are of the soft variety but never had any issue with the sap yet.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

caterpillers were webbing themselves up in the new growth of my euphorbia fireglow and i rubbed them to open them back up so they could grow.

somehow rubbed it in my eyes and i was in real pain for hours even after vigourous washing/rinsing.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Trying to repot a puya Chiliensis was a nightmare as the stiff leaves were hanging over the edge and gloves stuck to it like velcro, gave up and left in it's original pot.
dino

Post by dino »

Quite an interesting read though. One thing I do agree with him on is stuff looks much better trimmed than not.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

It certainly has made me think twice about standing under my Washingtonia next time i get someone in to trim it! :wink:
flounder

Post by flounder »

Clive60 wrote:Trying to repot a puya Chiliensis was a nightmare as the stiff leaves were hanging over the edge and gloves stuck to it like velcro, gave up and left in it's original pot.
I hear you, but mines p. alpestris :wink:
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Livistona petioles are nasty pasties as I can attest, Ive been bitten by these bad boys more times than I can remember and yes Bismarkia petioles are as sharp as razorblades and will slash your hand to the bone if given half a chance. Ive developed a healthy respect for these plants and have a live and let live approach...

However I had to take drastic action with a beautiful but deadly Aiphanes horrida palm that was armed with long sharp spines from the roots to the tips of its fronds. I always seemed to forget it was there and got jabbed and spined while working in the garden around it but because it was so beautiful and elegant I couldnt stay angry with it for long. Sadly it signed its own death warrant when it went for a one on one with one of my dogs where my dog came off second best.

Off with her head was my rallying call so a few thwacks with a mattock and she was history :x

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Aiphanes/horrida.html
Attachments
p_aiphanes1.jpg
p_aiphanes1.jpg (20.93 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

Fantastic plants he grows!
I agree about the opuntia microdasys! Those soft little spines are terrible to remove. I re potted my Dasylirion in the spring with much swearing and cursing. It ripped my arms to bits and worse of all it's not straight in it's pot! The choice is to do it again or say it's deliberate and I like things to grow at angles.
Simba

Post by Simba »

That was an interesting read though, the best I have read in a while... icon_thumleft
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I found out this myself on a Yucca aloifolia, and I keep finding out.. also on a Yucca gloriosa.

Also I cut myself on a Washingtonia petiole, and got Citrus limon and Bougainvillea thorns in my hand!

I have a Cactus that seemingly throws spines into me when I'm not even anywhere near it.. so I can fully understand where this poster is coming from.

Essentially building a garden full of spiky and toxic plants is like assembling an army of your arch-enemies outside your front door in order to make your house look good :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

And yet we still proceed to buy more! :lol:
I'm after a pandanus and some more yuccas.
Even when dead the plants get you. Try picking up a handful of dead mahonia leaves underneath an echium.
I don't know about gloves, you need full body armour out there :ahhh!:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

flounder wrote: you need full body armour out there :ahhh!:
Just imagine getting some of those Opuntia glochids down inside the armour, itch, itch, itch, where you can't reach it :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

Use a monkey puzzle branch as a loofah, that'll get it