Yucca gloriosa " Painters Pallette"

Andy Martin

Yucca gloriosa " Painters Pallette"

Post by Andy Martin »

Probably unique on these shores Yucca Gloriosa "Painters Pallette" all rights reserved :wink:
13-8-12 029_t.jpg
Yeah... well I wish. The above pic was taken in August. Here's the same plant taken in May this year.
7-5-12 056_t.jpg
So what has caused this major change? I believe the answer lies in the second picture. Can you see the pup growing from the roots of the main parent plant? Well I removed it (and doing well in a pot) It hasn't changed much since August except a few more browned leaves. Anyone else experienced this condition?
Jo A P

Re: Yucca gloriosa " Painters Pallette"

Post by Jo A P »

I can't help, but I prefer the second picture!
Rod

Post by Rod »

Hi Andy - the colour change might be a seasonal thing ( just watch it and see if it goes back to the Red/brown colour )
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Some variegated Yuccas change colour in the winter! Personally I`d put a bit more green on the brush. :lol: :roll: icon_thumright
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Thanks for your replies. Rod and Jas (with a wicked sense of humour :lol: ) I'm aware that some species of yucca undergo colour changes like variegated Aloifolia, Flaccida and Filamentosa.... i have the beautiful "Color Guard" but i have never seen any colour change on Yucca Gloriosa Variegata. icon_scratch
Effectively the whole plant looks to have collapsed and remains in complete stasis :roll:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Yes its not looking very perky. It has the look of impending DOOM. Better luck next time. :cry: icon_thumright
flounder

Post by flounder »

Was it a new planting in May? if it was makes me wonder if its a reaction to being grown under cover of a greenhouse then being subjected to the 'fantastic' heat of the British summer we've just had.(For heat of british summer look up cold and too wet)
If its not new and has been there a while, haven't a clue except maybe a bit of waterlogging at the roots.
Someone is bound to point out the agave looking thing behind it isn't suffering, but if its a water issue, its a smaller plant so roots probably not down as far.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Mine went that colour last year and it ended up dead :shock:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'd go with too much rain, and/or poor drainage. Normally Yucca are pretty easy going, but if the drainage is not good, this summer may have tested it to the limit.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The agave behind it looks great.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:The agave behind it looks great.
They tend to look great even if they have no roots
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by tony »

Is it shaded out in the summer Andy?
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

I would just say that the Yucca is planted on a steepish slope in sandy soil It also gets a reasonable amount of Sun.
My neighbour who has a large Yucca Gloriosa variegata has shown huge growth with all this rain. It is after all a moisture tolerant Yucca. Come to think of it all my desert loving yuccas have enjoyed all this rain this year.
Nope... I think this is pure shock and I won't be doing that again. Thanks for all your replies. :D
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Quite happy with this Yucca Gloriosa "Bright Star" purchased from Uhlig at the BCSS National Show back in August.
Attachments
Yucca Bright Star.jpg
cannondale28

Post by cannondale28 »

I bought an Aliofolia years ago and the leaves were purple but now are green. Some said it was an age thing. They lose their colour as time goes on.
I personally think these plants are grown commercially under strong sunlight then exported to the cloudy uk where the light is not strong enough and causes the variagation to lessens. I know that variagated houseplants have less variagation with less light.

Just guessing though.

Jerry