Tropicalwon In Season, in back garden!!??

Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Tropicalwon In Season, in back garden!!??

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Terrific stuff Gray.......... icon_thumleft
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Terrific stuff Gray.......... icon_thumleft
Thanks Arlon
flounder

Post by flounder »

Whereas comments say don't grow acanthus cos you can't get rid of it, it's taken me ten years to get it to take!! Wish it hadn't now, its a slug magnet :roll:
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

That's interesting to know about bananas (cutting them down for leaves at a lower level). What do you do? Just cut the whole thing down to ground level?
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Jo A P wrote:That's interesting to know about bananas (cutting them down for leaves at a lower level). What do you do? Just cut the whole thing down to ground level?
For the last four years the frost has cut them down for me....Then they shoot up again from ground level normally in May, icon_thumleft

This year I'm going to wrap the ones in pic 4 so I do get more height (hope) :wink:
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

I like my leaves lower down so I'd be quite happy cutting them down to keep them low rather than having them way up a trunk.
kata

Post by kata »

A beautiful jungle garden Gray,

Well done!!

icon_cheers
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

How did i miss this, Love your garden Tropicalwon, I love how your metal patio furniture look small against that huge wall of mature plants, your choice of tropicals and design are just spot on, I love it all icon_thumleft I was thinking of buying Acanthus but after reading comments from the guys ive changed my mind :mrgreen: Shame as it looks great in your tropical planting but my garden is too small..
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Deedee wrote:How did i miss this, Love your garden Tropicalwon, I love how your metal patio furniture look small against that huge wall of mature plants, your choice of tropicals and design are just spot on, I love it all icon_thumleft I was thinking of buying Acanthus but after reading comments from the guys ive changed my mind :mrgreen: Shame as it looks great in your tropical planting but my garden is too small..

Thanks Dee icon_thumleft

kata wrote:A beautiful jungle garden Gray,

Well done!!

icon_cheers
Thanks Kata icon_thumleft

I can't wait till summer comes....... when the garden is back in it's glory.........roll on
waggy1

Post by waggy1 »

you have a lovely garden tropicalwon, and I think I will take up your tip about cutting down sikkis and then wintering the trunk, although my two seedlings have got a fair bit of growing to do before then. thanks for your welcome to this forum
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Thanks Waggy1......
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

The path way made from sleepers and slates, is a change from the conventional, I'm building a path just like that. I wish the snow would melt so I can get in the garden, and finish building it.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Really liking the sytle of your garden Gray, that sort of 'tailored wild' isn't easy to achieve.

Great to see some out of season pics to remind us of what we have to look forward to as well.

;)
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Not seen this before, but very secluded and peaceful, great space!

what is tree in pic one above the palm in pot?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Adrian wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:
Trudytropics wrote:Thats a lovely mature garden you have Gray :D , its nice to see some nanas that are not ripped to shreds. :
Exactly, how do you have unshredded nanas.... particularly only living a couple of miles from my shredded, smashed and battered nanas :ahhh!: icon_scratch :lol:
Ah thats easy Dave, I do my Bananas differently now, you either have great big tall plants that get ripped to shreds and (IMO) look terrible or you cut the trunks down each spring and grow good looking plants at a lower level.
Also (and I know you dont agree with this ) grow sikki's rather than basjoos as they dont shred anywhere near as bad, kept smaller the fear of snapping trunks is also gone.
I winter Bananas now with around 4 foot trunks, they make good sized plants and they are so much easier to protect if doing so.

I did find this with my basjoo, hardley shredded, then once it got over the fence and we had a windy day, well it didnt look so great anymore :(