CIPD Torquay

JakoMonster

Re: CIPD Torquay

Post by JakoMonster »

Nathan wrote:Perhaps the £7,000 included the shipping of the palm & craning it in place? Even so ridiculously expensive, makes me wonder how much those planted earlier in the year in Weymouth cost! :shock:
probaly that price did include shipping & craning

Wow! at the ones it at the pic in Weymouth would love see more CIPD that size planted on coast

but there so crazy expensive when large.
medjool

Post by medjool »

If Councils went down the Southsea route middle sized palms at £100 each Torquay coud have 70 such trees in years to come.Fantastic! If i had my way i would turn Southsea into an outside Eden project!
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Is the roundabout even anywhere near the immediate coast? If not well it could well be an expensive loss.

Although the south coast is mild, it's literally only the coastal strip, travel just a few miles north and you encounter some of the coldest frost traps in Southern England... If CIDPs were planted in Wirral there would be an uproar, even though they have the potential of surviving with a little care and protection. 7000 is too steep
billdango

Post by billdango »

From my own expierience the best palms to plant a few miles inland from the south coast would be B Capitata,C humilis, J Chilensis and T Wagnerianus.

All of these palms grow well in the colder weather of Southampton and a large number of these palms could have been purchased from British growers.

Maybe the Torquay council should see how they do it in Vancouver with hardy exotics on English bay seafront and then they will learn something.

Besides why should we support the Spanish economy when we should be supporting the British economy?

The moral to this is if possible buy all our palms in the UK.

rgds billdango :D
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

Seems a good way to introduce red palm weavil!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They probably thought they were being smart and cutting out the middle man, but if the middle man orders a container load the transport cost is a fraction of a single palm.

The fact they are planting in the location described, in late autumn, shows a complete lack of understanding about climate and growing palms, which in a resort relying on climate and palms to attract it's income, is very poor. :roll:

Sort them out DaveP. Mind you my council will not listen to me, saying palms aren't hardy in Gravesend :roll: Of course Councils are always right.... I don't really grow palms, they are just a figment of my imagination :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by JakoMonster »

charliepridham wrote:Seems a good way to introduce red palm weavil!
can they survive here? they are nasty little things seen pics of them and what they do :ahhh!:
cannondale28

Post by cannondale28 »

Weymouth has had a load of these planted along it's seafront. I guess it's something to do with Olympics. They look a bit weather beaten already.
Christchurch, Dorset has lost a few of these big CIDPs in the last few years. Must have cost a packet. icon_scratch

Jerry
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cannondale28 wrote: Christchurch, Dorset has lost a few of these big CIDPs in the last few years. Must have cost a packet. icon_scratch

Jerry
If you get them from the right source they are one of the cheaper palms, for their size due to a faster growth rate. If you look at those on Southsea common, they were planted in 1995 as small palms you can get from sheds, but have grown massively in 17 years there.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cannondale28 »

This is a fine example of Christchurch's best CIDPs. There are now quite a few ex CIDPs now on this roundabout.
All a bit sad really. :(

Jerry

Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

I mentioned the CIDPS in Weymouth a few months back, particularly the fact that they were in raised beds containing a lot of wind blown sand and no irrigation installed. They looked tatty in August, I imagine they are a lot worse now and will not survive the cold Easterly winds this coming winter.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Clive60 wrote:I mentioned the CIDPS in Weymouth a few months back, particularly the fact that they were in raised beds containing a lot of wind blown sand and no irrigation installed. They looked tatty in August, I imagine they are a lot worse now and will not survive the cold Easterly winds this coming winter.
I saw them last weekend & they do look very wind burnt, fingers crossed for a mild winter :?
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Slightly OT, I passed the big one in Lambeth a couple of weekends ago, the first time I've seen it. It looked to be in very good condition.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Even the Fulham tree was slightly damaged last winter, nothing serious though;
Attachments
Summer 2012
Summer 2012
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Rob S wrote:Even the Fulham tree was slightly damaged last winter, nothing serious though;
how old or how long has that been there?
Last edited by JakoMonster on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.