Cycad Flush?

delboy12

Cycad Flush?

Post by delboy12 »

Hi all,

Cycad started flushing about 6 weeks ago.. but appears to have stopped at this stage.

I have now had to move into the greenhouse for winter.. Keeping it facing the same direction as it was outside.

Do you think it will continue to flush next year or is the new growth gone.....? :(

redsquirrel

Re: Cycad Flush?

Post by redsquirrel »

hello Del,i had this with one a few years ago and have it again now. they stop,do nothing until spring then start where they left off.
im more concerned this year however as the one flushing is planted out and has been for the past few years. i doubt the new growth will survive any serious frost and ive rotted them before fleecing too heavily. not really sure what to do for the best,i think a clear polycarb shelter is my best option but i still need good air circulation to stop the crown going manky
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
delboy12

Post by delboy12 »

cheers ,
hope your right icon_thumleft put it in the greenhouse yesterday ,weather looks awfull at the weekend :ahhh!:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

should be fine in the greenhouse.these plants are so much tougher than they get credit for imo
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I had my planted out one do this in October some ten years ago. I kept an upturned rigid cardboard box on it every time there was frost. However, there were no severe ones to test it and it came through unscathed.

What was alarming, however, I had to wait until the following June before the immature cluster of leaves suddenly opened.
I only got five new ones that year but a least the hot August of 2003 ripened them nicely for the next winter.
delboy12

Post by delboy12 »

Away in the greenhouse now so hope it will carry on next spring icon_thumleft
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

What a shame Delboy to have the fronds stop at this late stage :( I'd be tempted to bring them somewhere warmer and light for them to finish their flush and harden off.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.