Value Sago Palms?

DAVIDEVANS

Value Sago Palms?

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

I've just been trolling through some of the photos on here. So many triumphs that I've decided to get my act together a bit better for next year. The previous few winters have been rather unkind. I got more plants through the cold last winter only to have so many of them drown! I can't afford to replace all of the plants I've lost over the least few years so have been growing cannas and grasses from seed with a few more on order.

Looking through Ebay I came across some Sago Palms (Cycas Revoluta?) which look to be a good price so I've ordered a couple ........ http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0930000549

(Dave is this the right place for this topic?)
GoggleboxUK

Re: Value Sago Palms?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Decent price for the size but UK hardy is something of an exaggeration.

They need protection, see Simba's guide for how to do it properly.

;)
Stackrat

Post by Stackrat »

Small world.
I'm bidding on one of those at the moment and it's still £2 off the buy it now price. Here's hoping :)
jezza

Post by jezza »

I considered getting one of these but the wife said don't even think about it after she realised we were sharing our bedroom with a 6 foot ravenea :oops:
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

Can someone please link to simbas guide? I tried looking when I planted mine out to learn how and couldn't find it. Thanks :D
multim

Post by multim »

There are some for sale at my local greengocers for £4.99 each, granted the pups were not quite as large as those on ebay but pretty good value anyway.
I have had one growing against a SE facing wall for 7 years. The really cold snaps will bleach the leaves but it will flush reliably each June.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

:shock: £5....I would of had a few and used them as border fillers then lifted out for winter.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Simba

Post by Simba »

Kerinsian wrote:Can someone please link to simbas guide? I tried looking when I planted mine out to learn how and couldn't find it. Thanks :D
What guide is that, mate...??
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Your blog Simba, where you wrapped your Revoluta and put the dressing gown on it to get it through winter.

;)
Simba

Post by Simba »

Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

Fantastic, thanks Simba icon_thumleft

I really wanted to see it as I love my cycad to bits and only put it in the ground this year. One more question if you don't mind, when did you wrap them?
Simba

Post by Simba »

Perhaps not as early as you might think..I believe that Revolutas can take pretty low temperatues, but keep an eye on teh forecasts.

Id say as soon as we start hitting minus figures overnight with regularity, get wrapping.... icon_thumright
cannondale28

Post by cannondale28 »

Maybe keep the Sago in a pot and put the pot in the ground for the summer. When Autumn comes, put the plant in a frost free Greenhouse. Sago's, in pots, like tight roots so only pot up to the next size if necessary.
I use this method on most half hardy plants as I'm fed up with having tatty looking plants or, usually, losing plants.
I think Sago's can flush outside but mine is in the greenhouse enjoying the heat of the summer. It's strange that the length and size of the leaves can be altered by adjusting the light levels. Shade inreases the size of the new leaves.

Jerry
dino

Post by dino »

Just nature adapting. Less sun so needs more leaf to photosynthesise. icon_thumright
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

Thankee Simba :D

Cannondale, thanks for the suggestion I appreciate it... however, I've lugged the plant in and out of the conservatory for 6 years in succession, and it's now too heavy for me to keep on doing it so it's staying in the ground. :)