A quality Trachycarpus Fortunei specimen in my area...

cordyman

A quality Trachycarpus Fortunei specimen in my area...

Post by cordyman »

Never spotted this till I took a rat-run detour today, not sure if its ever had any winter protection, but by the size of it i'd say its been through winter 09/10. Put on some decent growth since the street view camera did its rounds too...

streetview

Today, what a beauty! drunken_smilie1

karl66

Re: A quality Trachycarpus Fortunei specimen in my area...

Post by karl66 »

Looks healthy specimen but i just dont like all the lower leaves on Trachycarpus's!, i have about 3 large ones like this but will trim them once they settle. karl.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

karl66 wrote:Looks healthy specimen but i just dont like all the lower leaves on Trachycarpus's!
I do, they look far better with all their leaves icon_thumright
flounder

Post by flounder »

Can't believe I'm saying this, I agree with Coni. I prefer the natural, unmanicured look. Of course its all personal taste and depends if you're under planting as well, but in a lawned area it looks good
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I suppose its a personel thing but to me it makes them look less tropical & more like a bush :lol: , cha :lol: chamerop's can carry the look perfectly though. karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I think it looks absolutely stunning with the leaves on, considering the lower leaves are in such good condition.

There was a Trachycarpus in someones garden on here which was 15metres+ i'd love to find the post, there was a shed under it and a small deckchair if that helps narrow it down icon_scratch :lol: :lol: :lol:

It had the lower half removed of leaves then the entire top half natural full of its skirting. Thats the kind of effect i'd like, leave skirt on till it gets to monster size, then display the lower trunk.

ps. also I wonder if plant would be as chunky/tall/healthy now if the owner had gone for bushy top only for the last several years?
kata

Post by kata »

Lovely,

Thanks for sharing this Cordy!!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

its amazing what a single specimen plant can do to a garden Kata, really transforms the house and even the road for me icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
dino

Post by dino »

Have to agree with Karl, I like to see trunk. Maybe an Alpha male thing :lol:
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

I'm a leaves off kind a girl :lol: , looks like a big bush to me and less like the tropical palm I want it to be, horses for courses though :wink:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Cracking palm!!!....Love the leaves on look myself.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

Year or two on it there wont be the choice with the leaves! the lower ones will start to go shortly.

Am I the only one who thought it looks a bit lonely?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

charliepridham wrote:Am I the only one who thought it looks a bit lonely?
It does, doesn't it! Could definitely do with some more around it.
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

I too agree with the lonely comment, sometimes I wonder when I see single specimens like this if the owner got it more for the cachet of having an expensive specimen than fora n actual love of exotics/gardening. There's one that looks very similar to this in Llanelli, when I saw the picture I had to check to see where it was located as at first I thought it was the same one!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Kerinsian wrote:I too agree with the lonely comment, sometimes I wonder when I see single specimens like this if the owner got it more for the cachet of having an expensive specimen than fora n actual love of exotics/gardening. There's one that looks very similar to this in Llanelli, when I saw the picture I had to check to see where it was located as at first I thought it was the same one!

I think this is probably more a £10 palm bought when in a 5 litre pot, and left to its own devices, see quite a lot of lone Trachycarpus's, not sure if people look much further than the label "hardy windmill palm" then plant and forget. :lol:

I think i'd like a mix of skirted and naked trachys in my garden in years to come when they get big.