Agaves and arid gardening

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Agaves and arid gardening

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Not seen much talk about Agaves or arid gardens this year?

Does anyone still have planted out Agaves and cacti?

Would love to see some photos and success stories.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Agaves and arid gardening

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I did a new arid bed earlier in the summer together with my attempt at a dry stream bed, just haven't got around to blogging it yet . Still all planted out............
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:I did a new arid bed earlier in the summer together with my attempt at a dry stream bed, just haven't got around to blogging it yet . Still all planted out............
icon_thumleft icon_salut
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yeah sure, just keep them dry in winter.
Heres mine tucked up for winter, the big americana just needs a roof to keep it fairly dry, the tank has sides as I want a bit more protection for the mediopicta, the other stuff in there is just hitching a ride.
The Yuccas are all hardy.
Attachments
020 (Medium).JPG
005 (Medium).JPG
021 (Medium).JPG
004 (Medium).JPG
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Adrian, what temps has that mediopicta seen?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

This one was new back in the Spring but Ive had them in a cold greenhouse before so guessing minus 6 under glass, being dry is the most important bit.
If it looks like getting really cold then I'll throw a small heat cable around it.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Adrian wrote:This one was new back in the Spring but Ive had them in a cold greenhouse before so guessing minus 6 under glass, being dry is the most important bit.
If it looks like getting really cold then I'll throw a small heat cable around it.

Thats good to hear. I thought these were only hardy to 0 to minus 1. variegata to minus 4/5ish and green form to minus 8 when large.
Julia

Post by Julia »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:I did a new arid bed earlier in the summer together with my attempt at a dry stream bed, just haven't got around to blogging it yet . Still all planted out............
I would live to see your dry stream bed :D
I was wondering whether to put one in my garden. I have googled some :)
But where I was thinking of putting mine it would fill up with rain water if we have a fair bit of rain. Then I wondered about the water hanging about!! Do you have a drain off t the other end?
Can you tell I don't know what I'm talking about. Lol
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ade, is that a yucca purpelem or similar next to the big americana?, i planted one about half that size earlier this year, wondering how they go through winter. karl.
dino

Post by dino »

I've planted mine out this year as well after keeping it indoors last. Thought it was called Purpurei or something similar though. Does it need keeping dry or doesn't matter?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Keeping dry when cold is the trick. Ade's covers obviously work perfectly.

My Agave americana has been unprotected and uncovered for twenty years but keeps dry in the winter by being bedded on a 30cm layer of gravel below a 50/50 mix of grit and soil into which it's planted. The bed itself is raised against a sunny south-west house wall. Its toes never sit in water. Sorry, no pic :(

I planted these Agaves in a gravel and soil mix fifteen years ago under a car portal that has an opaque glass roof. They were large specimens then and to my knowledge they have never been watered nor rained on. With the light levels on these rather low the slow growth from lack of water has prevented them becoming too etiolated. The pic was taken last November.

[attachment]005.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
005.JPG
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

karl66 wrote:Ade, is that a yucca purpelem or similar next to the big americana?, i planted one about half that size earlier this year, wondering how they go through winter. karl.
I had 2 out last year (thought it was purpurea Dino) that were just fine, one under a cover the other left out in the open, both fared the same.
Although sold as aloifolia purperwhatever, IMO aloifolia they aint, nothing whatsoever aloifolia about them.
Not much happened to either of mine this year to be honest.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

when these did the rounds,i managed to get 2 of each of the different sorts id found between akamba and cornwall.
purpurea seems to ring a bell with me too,
one pair had softish leaves,very much like elephantipes and the others could easily have been very stressed aloifolias,as stiff and sharp as them. none have done particularly well,i left them all outside,i think i have one of the aloifolia type left with very stunted leaves.the crabby winters and constant rain are too much for them near soggy bristol
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Julia wrote: I would live to see your dry stream bed :D
Just getting some pics together and will blog it........ icon_thumleft
Julia wrote: I was wondering whether to put one in my garden. I have googled some :)
But where I was thinking of putting mine it would fill up with rain water if we have a fair bit of rain. Then I wondered about the water hanging about!! Do you have a drain off t the other end?
There is a land drain on the bottom end of mine but i wasn't worried if it filled anyway tbh, it'll drain eventually if it did
Julia wrote: Can you tell I don't know what I'm talking about. Lol
Not to worry, neither do i icon_thumleft :lol: :lol:
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

How do you calculate the distances between Agaves? I eventually planted mine, but I was unsure whether I'd left it sufficient space and they're not exactly plants to move around.

Another question - Can you grow Agave Filifera outside in the UK? What size do they get to?