I love those glass covers!

I just picked up 3 sheets of glass over 6'x6' in size
and you have given me some new ideas icon_cheers
Attachments
9-4-12014.jpg
Adrian

Re: Agaves and arid gardening

Post by Adrian »

Mine are not glass but plastic panels like perspex but uv resistant.
Heres another idea for you, its the same materials of aluminium box section with perspex panels with hinged doors this time, this is around my Phoenix canariensis x roebelenii, since the pic I have double glazed the roof fitting 2x1 between the sheets, I did this as the leaves are touching the top and I didnt want the ends burning.
Attachments
002 (Medium).JPG
027 (Medium).JPG
010 (Medium).JPG
cannondale28

Post by cannondale28 »

Is that a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP because in Southsea they seemed to be doing ok? That was a few years ago I saw them.

Can someone tell me what Agave this is below? I got it from a mixed Agave packet of seed from Chiltern Seeds, uk and have had loads of unusual Agave's from this single packet of seeds. This Agave has done well under a bell jar. It has a Parryi next to it under a Bell Jar also.

One Agave was Gentrii to which I'm fairly impressed with. Against a south facing wall it seems to have done well over 6-7 years. Not that big but a good plant.

Jerry
dino

Post by dino »

Looks like an Americana to me
franckm

Post by franckm »

cannondale28 wrote:
Can someone tell me what Agave this is below? I got it from a mixed Agave packet of seed from Chiltern Seeds, uk and have had loads of unusual Agave's from this single packet of seeds. This Agave has done well under a bell jar. It has a Parryi next to it under a Bell Jar also.

One Agave was Gentrii to which I'm fairly impressed with. Against a south facing wall it seems to have done well over 6-7 years. Not that big but a good plant.

Jerry
Looks like a kind of Salmiana to me. Var. Ferox, var. crassispina ?

Franck
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

I planted out a.montana and a. Salmiana in march this year, straight into pure gravel. They have both grown very well. Also had a. Americana medico pica alba, a.utahensis var. eborispina and aloe mitriformis planted, but these have moved indoors for winter. My recent addition is a large a.ovatifolia of around 40 cms. This is too late for planting and too dangerous for the house, so will be languishing under cover off the floor outside. Hoping that it will be ok.

The Montana and salmiana managed to squeeze under the largest cloches that I could find.

Will let you know in spring if I have any success stories to share!!!,
cannondale28

Post by cannondale28 »

Agave salmiana crassispina may be the one. Very good. :D Cheers for that.

I think the -12c would hit the spot too. Mine has a bell jar over it for 6 months a year but it has been lucky to get through the last few years of cold winters. As it gets bigger it seems to get stronger. A small plant of under 8-10 inches across might struggle in the winter cold.
It's struggled a bit more than the Parryi next to it.

Good stuff! Thanks again. :D

Jerry
franckm

Post by franckm »

cannondale28 wrote:Agave salmiana crassispina may be the one. Very good. :D Cheers for that.
It's struggled a bit more than the Parryi next to it.

Good stuff! Thanks again. :D

Jerry
Yes indeed. Much less hardy than parryi but quick growing. If you want to try one which combine good hardiness & quick growing, try agave Ovatifolia, absolutely awesome.

Franck 8)
Attachments
Agave ovatifolia - juillet 2012_640x480.jpg
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I don't really grow any agave or things like that a few cacti is about it but I was getting some stgraw at the greenhouse today and noticed an agave I had never seen. I had seen the type but this thing was a monster. it must have had 6 foot leaves( I guess you call them that) on it. it is the type with the yellow running down the sides of the leaves. I will def take a pic next time I stop in. was to busy getting pics of the unknown banana and forgot.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

franckm wrote: If you want to try one which combine good hardiness & quick growing, try agave Ovatifolia, absolutely awesome.

Franck 8)
I've recently acquired one of these, Franck. It's a little small at the moment, but I can't wait for it to fatten up and look like yours icon_salut
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

miketropic wrote:I don't really grow any agave or things like that a few cacti is about it but I was getting some stgraw at the greenhouse today and noticed an agave I had never seen. I had seen the type but this thing was a monster. it must have had 6 foot leaves( I guess you call them that) on it. it is the type with the yellow running down the sides of the leaves. I will def take a pic next time I stop in. was to busy getting pics of the unknown banana and forgot.

Sounds like maybe A.Americana(variegated)

Did it look like this one?
Attachments
100_6091.JPG
kindredspirit

Post by kindredspirit »

Haven't a decent picture to hand but my Agaves and Cacti will stay out all winter.

They're under a glazed section of a pergola and rarely get watered. The rain can't get under there either. Suppose I'll have to water them eventually. :(

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

kindredspirit wrote:Haven't a decent picture to hand but my Agaves and Cacti will stay out all winter.

They're under a glazed section of a pergola and rarely get watered. The rain can't get under there either. Suppose I'll have to water them eventually. :(

Very clever and very beautiful.
cannondale28

Post by cannondale28 »

Hello,
Just a quick note- spotted this French website on agace hardiness-

http://isagave.e-monsite.com/pages/agav ... icite.html

Jerry :D
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Brilliant pergola Kindred. Perfect for cold hardy agaves and cacti. Don't rush to water them until warmer weather arrives.