How TO move a Trachycarpus Fortunei from Ebay

Julia

Re: How TO move a Trachycarpus Fortunei from Ebay

Post by Julia »

brendan wrote:
redsquirrel wrote:that is a beauty. surely you arent going to say 99p??
cant be that many with facilities and availability at such short notice so could have gone really cheap??
CORRECT I paid 99p for this palm as nobody bid on it but I saved the builder the price of a skip so he wasn't bothered he just wanted it gone.Without a picture and the short time span it was a risk as i could have got there and all the roots been hacked off.99p for the palm and I topped the truck up with diesel £20.01 so it cost me a grand total of £21.00 icon_cheers
What a bargain :D
It looks great in your garden. Well done icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

99p bargain! Well done you!
Simba

Post by Simba »

brendan wrote:
cant be that many with facilities and availability at such short notice so could have gone really cheap??
CORRECT I paid 99p for this palm as nobody bid on it but I saved the builder the price of a skip so he wasn't bothered he just wanted it gone.Without a picture and the short time span it was a risk as i could have got there and all the roots been hacked off.99p for the palm and I topped the truck up with diesel £20.01 so it cost me a grand total of £21.00 icon_cheers
Wowee....that has to be the greatest bargain ever seen on HTUK.... icon_thumright
flounder

Post by flounder »

99p for palm
£20.01 for diesel
A few beers for your extra hands....the price is mounting up :lol:
Worth every penny icon_thumleft
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I wouldn't feed it until early Spring myself, just don't let it dry out which shouldn't be a problem at this time of year!
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

99p-Unbelievable...... well done icon_salut looks an absolute beaut icon_thumleft
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

greendragon wrote:I'm not sure how Palms work but they say the best time to plant a tree is during winter so that the roots can establish for the taxing growing season.

Needs clarification from the experts.
I hope you are right, but it is at odds with the with some information I recently read. In an article by some university botanical professor he states that unlike most evergreens which keep ticking over in the winter, once palms stop growing in the autumn the roots shut down till the weather warms up again in the spring. Therefore the roots will not regenerate until the spring.

My own experiences tend to bear this out as bear rooted palms I have obtained late in the year have taken up to 18 months before they have started to grow! Has any one else had similar experiences? My advice is put your wooden frame around to stop any movement from further damaging the roots then cover the roots with a deep mulch to keep the roots as warm as possible. If you have a free draining soil I would also consider pouring tepid water over the roots to keep the temperature up. It would be such a shame to loose it after all your hard work. icon_thumright
brendan

Post by brendan »

This is a terrible time to plant a palm and even worse so because this wasn't a potted palm and most of the original roots would have been lost and damaged and probably wont start to grow until well into spring.One thing im sure of its got more chance there than it would have had in the skip :lol:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Brendan, i've planted similar although not as big at the end of december & they have all took really well. There's nothing else you could have done with it unless you lived in a lighthouse!!. karl.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i think it will be fine. trachycarpus do continue to grow through winter here,albeit slowly. i wouldnt feed it or add anything to the soil for that matter,just let it tick over at its own pace. the size of the rootball should sustain the crown,otherwise how do the fresh imports carry on until next year with far less underneath them??

i dont think i would put the plastic down either,its basically had its rootmat severed,im convinced these roots collect oxygen as much as water and if the surrounding ground is wet,that will absorb through underneath anyway.
well done on the job too,not being out of the ground too long will speed up the transplant process.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Great bargain and dont worry about planting it now as the soil is still warm, better in the ground than trying to pot it up and disturb it again in the Spring.
Expect it to sulk for up to three years but then it should be ok.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

the voice of experience,well done Ade icon_thumright why couldnt i have put it like that :oops:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
greenbananas

Post by greenbananas »

Congrats that's a ace palm you've got there.
dino

Post by dino »

Well done. I think at that size you can afford for it sulk for a while icon_thumleft
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

brendan wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That has to be the bargin of the year/decade icon_salut

Great pictures and a superb palm, that should romp away in a couple of years.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.