WILKO MUSA BAJOO BARGAIN - ALERT

Sat

Re: WILKO MUSA BAJOO BARGAIN - ALERT

Post by Sat »

Here is a photo, def look like Dwarf Cavendish.

If I need to keep then at 10C and lots of light, this is going to be difficult. I got 9 of them!!!

I put them iun the bathroom tub at the money, they are also monly in paper pots!

Do people only grow these as indoor house plants?

What about in the summer, can they be put outside from May to Sept?
Attachments
photo.JPG
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

yes, they are a cavendsish. but could be one of the superdwarf type only reaching 5 to 6 ft. They can go out in the garden in summer and providing day times temps are reasonable can go down to 6C briefly overnight ie like in June. Soil temps don't get warm enough for good growth in the ground outside :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Panama Pete »

i can second that, ive had one four 3 years, need to be indoors for winter icon_cheers
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

And they pup like crazy, you'll have a forest soon!
flounder

Post by flounder »

Dave Brown wrote:yes, they are a cavendsish. but could be one of the superdwarf type only reaching 5 to 6 ft. They can go out in the garden in summer and providing day times temps are reasonable can go down to 6C briefly overnight ie like in June. Soil temps don't get warm enough for good growth in the ground outside :wink:
I think you're pushing it a bit if you expect a 6ft superdwarf. A 2ft one is huge. Now, a dwarf cav at 5-6ft, thats a good average.
They're all prolific puppers, so for what was paid for them you'll have a good 50p's worth in no time! :lol:
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Good luck, you will need it.

Most online nurseries charge £10 for one of those so it's a good deal. My Grandmother bought one as a houseplant for the same price, it's growing well now on the windowsill of the kitchen as it is kept well over 20*c and the humidity is kept quite high by the cooking steam causing condensation.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

flounder wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:yes, they are a cavendsish. but could be one of the superdwarf type only reaching 5 to 6 ft. They can go out in the garden in summer and providing day times temps are reasonable can go down to 6C briefly overnight ie like in June. Soil temps don't get warm enough for good growth in the ground outside :wink:
I think you're pushing it a bit if you expect a 6ft superdwarf. A 2ft one is huge. Now, a dwarf cav at 5-6ft, thats a good average.
Sorry, Gary you are reading pseudostem height, which is the way Bananas are sized.

With leaves fruiting height is
Cavendish, over 25ft
Dwarf Cavendish, 14 to 16ft (as seen in the commercial plantations in the Canaries)
Super Dwarf Cavendish, 5 to 7 feet
and there are now some tiny Super Dwarf that will fruit at around 4 ft.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

Dave Brown wrote:
flounder wrote:
Sorry, Gary you are reading pseudostem height, which is the way Bananas are sized.

With leaves fruiting height is
Cavendish, over 25ft
Dwarf Cavendish, 14 to 16ft (as seen in the commercial plantations in the Canaries)
Super Dwarf Cavendish, 5 to 7 feet
and there are now some tiny Super Dwarf that will fruit at around 4 ft.
Hmm, okidoke Dave if thats what you know.
Now if you could come round and tell my family of cavs that they're seriously under performing!! :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This is a pic of my super dwarf cav back in 2008, and I really thought I had a chance of getting it to flower, but lost it after a cold snap meant my conservatory stayed around 6 to 7C for a week :roll:
Attachments
211208 Super Dwarf Cav.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright