Tad windy today

MikeC

Re: Tad windy today

Post by MikeC »

What the frosts don't take, the wind has, and if it survives that, the damp rot gets it.

If it's not one thing it's another.

icon_aaargh
billdango

Post by billdango »

We have had some really violent winds in Southampton today and the basjoos are taking a hell of a battering.

No unusual cold is forcast for here though only just some possible light frosts.

We may get a few nights below freezing next week but not by much..

billdango :)
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

coming in at a really odd angle i haven't seen before, today (the wind)

my fatsia polycarpa and scheffies are getting a face full icon_aaargh
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

wind is coming back but from the south, rather than from the west as yesterday. Ensete 'Montbeliardii' took a bit of a battering
Attachments
2012-11-22-11-17-48- F80EXR Mullered Monty.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Dave Remnant »

There is an intense low pressure winding itself up in the Atlantic that is due to hit us on Saturday.

Winds are forecast to be as strong as today and potentially stronger in some areas.

If it hasn't blown down alredy tomorrow will be the calm between the storms and it is advisable if you can to sort what you can then.

Sad to see all that growth go to waist. Now we wait for Siberia to return.... Ugggghh
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

really windy gusty here, hope my Parajubae will be ok being battered. my basjoo seems ok.
kata

Post by kata »

Really windy gusty here, hope my Parajubae will be ok being battered.
Yes JM I think I would be concerned too. Not heard of that palm, its lovely.

icon_cheers
parajubae.jpg
How hardy is itJM?
billdango

Post by billdango »

Wind increasing to almost storm force here in Southampton.

For the first time this winter I have had to tie up the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in St Denys to stop it being smashed to pieces.

Now its raining as well it looks like a hurricane blowing up and the noise of all the palm trees thrashing outside my own house has to heard to be believed.

Its still mild though at about +13c.

billdango :shock: :shock: :shock:
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

i attempted to tie up my parajubeae fronds but failed there so big just have to leave it then :roll: just hope no serious damage is caused :(
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

JakoMonster wrote:i attempted to tie up my parajubeae fronds but failed there so big just have to leave it then :roll: just hope no serious damage is caused :(
I've got one decent sized one too, but yours sounds like a monster, how big is it?

I think they are my fave palms.

icon_thumleft
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

i managed to tie up all by myself (everyone is in bed) in the wind took me ages and i'm soaking wet but didn't want it to get damaged by the strong gust
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

MikeC wrote:
JakoMonster wrote:i attempted to tie up my parajubeae fronds but failed there so big just have to leave it then :roll: just hope no serious damage is caused :(
I've got one decent sized one too, but yours sounds like a monster, how big is it?

I think they are my fave palms.

icon_thumleft
it's pretty big but the leaves are so large. i'll have to post a photo of all of it
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

the top of my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP protection blew off, I came home from work and there is no trace of the polythene sheet... some neighbour must have got a suprise..

:x
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

I'm not too far from Dave, so it was very windy here too. One of my cordylines is now leaning! Something about wind that stops you sleeping.

I was in Somerset Wed & Thu and the flooding there was dreadful. Fields looked like lakes, many of the roads were flooded and some were closed, long traffic jams all over the place, there was even a death. The train I catch on the Exeter to Waterloo line was partially cancelled due to a landslide. Lucky for me I got on at Yeovil just to the east of the landslide, so I'm now back in Surrey, otherwise I would have been a bit stuck.
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

I'm sorry to see the damage you sustained Dave :(

It's at times like this that I feel lucky for not having many exotics yet (and for most of those having been crammed into the conservatory already)
I did find pots, leaves, and gardening bags floating on the pond and distributed all over the garden, but feel fortunate I was maybe too careful and kept or brought everything in a few weeks ago. The only plant I had to rescue was a new fatsia V. that had blown over in it's pot and rolled a few feet, it was easily replaced and wedged into place against the house wall for winter.