Tad windy today

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Tad windy today

Post by Dave Brown »

I was hoping my Musa basjoo would survive until the frosts, but the wind as a cold front passed through, had other ideas :roll: I was indoors and heard the noise of the wind become louder, and went out the front to see the big Eucalyptus and Trudi Trachycarpus being thrashed about, when I came back indoors it was the back garden that had actually copped it.

One Musa basjoo snapped at the base of the pseudostem (was about 6feet tall). Another pseudostem has all the west facing leaves snapped at the petiole. The 10ft tall Strelitzia nicolai that has been standing against the fence has been blown over crushing a Sedum autumn glow, and a clump of Agapanthus. Ensete Montbeliardii has one leaf snapped and is leaning at about 30 degrees to vertical. Concrete tubs have been blown over, and it has got dark now so I can't see anything else.

The forecast showed tomorrow as the windy day, so I presume the little low that formed on the front, must have intensified. :evil:
Attachments
2012-11-21-15-43-56- F80EXR Wind damage.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Tad windy today

Post by kata »

Oh no, Dave thats terrible damage...

:( :(
jezza

Post by jezza »

That blew well here as well with 40mph gusts. Supposed to be stronger tomorrow. From previous experience i now always bring stuff in during october regardless of what the weather is doing, i'm glad i did as i've had 5 frosts plus average 5c night temps and now the wind is getting up.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Is the Strelitzia nicolai plnated ????
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Codfather wrote:Is the Strelitzia nicolai plnated ????
no, it is in a 2ft diameter play tub with holes drilled. Too heavy to lift though, has to be dragged which damages other plants, that is why I was waiting for a frost forecast before moving it, but as they are damaged anyway now, I'll pull it in tomorrow :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nathan »

Yep, windy here too, had gusts as high as 57 mph here earlier icon_thumbdown
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Last one.....do you do this with lots of plants.....leave loads in pots and plonk them in the boreders ?????

i.e when you are on this sites home page....the second picture shows one of the best trpoical border pic's I have seen and is want most people trive to achieve IMO ......but how much is planted and how much is in pots\plunged ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Codfather wrote:Last one.....do you do this with lots of plants.....leave loads in pots and plonk them in the boreders ?????

i.e when you are on this sites home page....the second picture shows one of the best trpoical border pic's I have seen and is want most people trive to achieve IMO ......but how much is planted and how much is in pots\plunged ?
At a guess, about 15% are in pots for various reasons. Most common is that spring planting and autumn digging out will damage palm roots so pots are placed on the ground. Another is if the plant can't tolerate root disturbance. Most plants in pots are in black pot so they blend into shadows, but also smaller plants either planted or placed in front help hide pots/tubs. You can achieve a really good planting illusion with a bit thought. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

wow some serious wind to take a Basjoo down!

Overwintered Stem Reduction @ Dave B's for a limited period Free Of Charge © :shock: :lol:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

....And they need weighing down and securing from gales like this afternoon's to avoid crushing nearby smaller plants.

I do exactly the same and today's winds have inflicted some damage here including the Musa basjoo that's hidden deep in a very shady border against the house. The newest leaf remains but the three older ones have all broken at the stem. A potted Sparmannia half plunged in the same border has fallen on my Colocasia esculenta and damaged the opening roller. Escaped a few ground frosts but not the wind :(

Sorry to see your damage, Dave.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I took the dog up the woods when the gusts came. Wasn't there long, partly due to flying debris and the flash backs to 1987
Sixpence, half a crown :(
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i wonder why the leaves didn't rip or why the stem didn't break higher up?

is there a weak spot or any rot?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:i wonder why the leaves didn't rip or why the stem didn't break higher up?

is there a weak spot or any rot?
I don't know yet, was too wet and windy to be out for long
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

Not good at all icon_thumbdown
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Robin H

Post by Robin H »

That's some damage. Windy here as well. I invested in some nice long tom clay pots recently and guess what ... half of them blown over and smashed :evil: throwing money down the drain = gardening in the UK.