TRex ills. (Tetrapanax papyrifer)

jwjwright

TRex ills. (Tetrapanax papyrifer)

Post by jwjwright »

My tetrapanax that seems to be trying to break some record for the number of new leaves its pushing out, well over 30 at last count seems to be struggling. A lot of the leaves in this flush now look like this.
DSC02151_edited.jpg
A couple of the older leaves which I think were there before the big spring flush are still dark green. Some on the very newest leaves seem ok although they are small at present and others look suspiciously like they might be heading the mottled way.

The whole garden gets a good dose of chicken manure in the spring and occasional feedings throughout the year. Do you knowledgeable people think this is some kind of deficiency? In a bit of a panic dosed the area with Epsom salts this morning, no effect as yet :P , and gave the plant a general feed. Any other ideas most welcome.

Jay
MarkD

Re: Tetrapanax ills.

Post by MarkD »

How about sulphate of iron? It might work :)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Looks like a lack of iron to me. Is the soil limey? Of course Bonemeal, and Chicken pellets increase the pH slightly. I would use sequested iron, or a multi-tonic. Having said that the first leaf of the season looks like that here and that is the cold. :roll:

Another potential problem is the rate of growth.... if it is trying yo grow 30 huge leafs all at once the root system may be stretched. You can always try a dose of Palm booster. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jwjwright »

Thanks for the thoughts. I have come round to thinking/hoping that perhaps it had grown a little too much and stressed itself somewhat trying to throw out quite so many leaves. The torrential rain of the past month not having helped the stress. I am about to try some sequestered iron based feed and see what happens. These things are sent to try us, which makes it tricky for the perfectionist in me :shock: ...