Fatsia japonica today,after -6 a week or so ago and last winters snow
Attachments
PICT0082.JPG
PICT0071.JPG
IMG_1106.JPG
miketropic

Re: Show me your Fatsia

Post by miketropic »

Do you have a gallery of your garden brendan? seems you have a wide range of plants I would like I see it all together.
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Brendan - If this was a competition I think you've just won icon_salut

Same request as Miketropic, would love to see the rest of your garden.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

brendan wrote:fatsia japonica variegata and fatsia polycarpa edward needhams form
Brendan that polycarpa edward needham looks interesting, were did you buy it from? icon_thumright
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

fatsisas.jpg
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

more types than I thought! seeing those nice size var. and spider webs make me want to order then right now...ahh but I must hold back....aw hell who am I kidding Im gunna email the guy later :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

miketropic wrote:who am I kidding Im gunna email the guy later :lol:
Can you get Polycarpa "Edward Needham Variety" over your way Mike? (Sorry if its been raised already and I missed it)
Dim

Post by Dim »

you can still buy Fatsia polycarpa Edward Needham from here:

http://www.exclusiveplants.co.uk/produc ... php?id=163

they have some very interesting plants
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Kristen wrote:
miketropic wrote:who am I kidding Im gunna email the guy later :lol:
Can you get Polycarpa "Edward Needham Variety" over your way Mike? (Sorry if its been raised already and I missed it)

I have only seen fatsia for sale once and it was the regular green kind. not very popular. the guy who has the var. and spiders web is from the UK and he said he would ship to the states. Im not saying the edward needham isnt in the states but Ive never came upon it for sale. it is very interesting and I will start keeping an eye out for it. I don't think that UK seller had that one.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

has anybody got an established moseri and an establish normal japonica in their garden to compare.

moseri seems to be a phantom cultivar to me.
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Mr List wrote:has anybody got an established moseri and an establish normal japonica in their garden to compare.

moseri seems to be a phantom cultivar to me.
There does seem to be conflicting advice that moseri and normal japonica is one of the same or different, could be thatt they are just very similar.

The more I see Fatsia the more I like.

Mr List, your mature fatsia remind me of how mature Mahonia grow.
joolz68

Post by joolz68 »

I got a fatsia japonica yesterday form wilkinsons for £5.00 :D i might grab a few more tomorrow at that price :DD
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Has anyone heard of this variety

Fatsia polycarpa 'Needham's Lace'

http://dangergarden.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... tally.html
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Great plants Brendan
Chad

Post by Chad »

allangreenbean wrote:Has anyone heard of this variety

Fatsia polycarpa 'Needham's Lace'
Fatsia polycarpa ‘Edward Needham’s Form’ is an informal name given to plants deriving from the late [and much missed] Edward Needham’s personal collection. Mainly propagated by seed they usually have more finely divided leaves than, for example, most of the Crug plants. They are not one clone and do show some variation. I note Crug have selected out a 'deeply cut' form as well.

'Needham’s Lace' was introduced by Cistus Nurseries in the States [though they don’t list it this year] and I am not sure if it is the same as ‘Edward Needham’s Form’ or if it was a cutting produced clone of a good form of ‘Edward Needham’s Form’. Either way the plants I have seen pictures of fall within the range we see in the Edward’s seedlings.

Chad.