Should I get a Cyathea Australis

Tom2006

Should I get a Cyathea Australis

Post by Tom2006 »

Simon has some in his sale for just over £20 with a 5-10cm trunk, which isn't much at all. I read they are suppose to be hardy to -12C!? What do you reckon guys, is it worth a punt?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Steph

Re: Should I get a Cyathea Australis

Post by Steph »

I say yes, 'cos I got one off him at the last sale, no truk but that will come in time.
At those prices its worth having the plant stock.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Get it,they are not hardy in the UK climate down to -12 but they will do a little, make sure you cover it up with fleece in winter. well worth having. :D
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

order going in! icon_thumleft
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

If a Cyathea Australis sees -12*c you will be left with a rotting stump, same goes for Dicksonia antarctica unless your using serious protection.

The fronds on a Cyathea are only hardy to light frosts, -2*c or less = bye bye fronds.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Quick note the C Australis crozies seem to become loose if they go without water for a few days so don't hesitate to give it a good water :D
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I've got a small one but has large fronds, still green!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

greendragon wrote:If a Cyathea Australis sees -12*c you will be left with a rotting stump, same goes for Dicksonia antarctica unless your using serious protection.

The fronds on a Cyathea are only hardy to light frosts, -2*c or less = bye bye fronds.
Thanks for the advice although I thought Australis are deciduous? icon_scratch

I certainly wont be letting it get anywhere near to -12C. It will be potted and protected during the winter. icon_thumleft
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Make sure it is rooted Tom.

I bought an unrooted one from Simon 5 or 6 years ago and it never re-rooted :(

Caveat emptor, eh. Oh well, I know better now and would never buy one again as they will die up here unless one has somewhere cosy to put it over the winter.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

As tree ferns go they are quite strong once acclimatised outside but it's better like you said in a pot, shoots easy to move. :)
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Tom2006 wrote:
greendragon wrote:If a Cyathea Australis sees -12*c you will be left with a rotting stump, same goes for Dicksonia antarctica unless your using serious protection.

Thanks for the advice although I thought Australis are deciduous? icon_scratch

I certainly wont be letting it get anywhere near to -12C. It will be potted and protected during the winter. icon_thumleft
In their homeland the Dicksonias and Cyatheas never see frost, the minimum temperature they expierience is 5*c to 10*c.

Yes there are some that grow "On the edge" at high altitudes where they get the occasional frost but they never amount to much in terms of size. All tree ferns are evergreen. Cyathea Australis constantly push out fronds all year in Australia.

I have a Cyathea Medullaris in a container and it is still pushing out fronds rapidly now with the temperature in the conservatory at 10*c-15*c.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Adam D wrote:Make sure it is rooted Tom.

Caveat emptor, eh. Oh well, I know better now and would never buy one again as they will die up here unless one has somewhere cosy to put it over the winter.
Thanks Adam.

I didn't think of this. I will be contacting Simon to ask now as not keen on an unrooted one. That said, I've seen a good thread on how to get them to grow roots so will give that a try and if all else fails it wont be allowed to fall below freezing during winter, so hopefully will root in time?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Adam D wrote:Make sure it is rooted Tom.

Simon told me about that a whole batch was supplied without roots, as at the time it was thought they could be treated the same as Dicksonia antarctica. He returns any supplied without roots now. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

greendragon wrote: In their homeland the Dicksonias and Cyatheas never see frost, the minimum temperature they expierience is 5*c to 10*c.

Yes there are some that grow "On the edge" at high altitudes where they get the occasional frost but they never amount to much in terms of size.
That is contrary to what I heard. At higher elevations they are exposed to snow every year. and in 2012 much of the New South Wales, Victoria area was covered in snow in October (Mid spring).
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Steph »

Bottom left of the pic next to the chiller is the Australis I got in Simons last sale, it definitely has roots, its alive & growing fine.
Not much in the way of trunk but good plant stock.
IMG_0893.JPG