Should I move this Trachycarpus?

cordyman

Should I move this Trachycarpus?

Post by cordyman »

I know Trachycarpus roots spread outwards quite a lot, but when hitting an obstacle how aggressive are they?

Planted this Trachycarpus near the top of my steps, will look great in years to come, with the trunk at the entrance to the garden, but does it pose any threat to the steps/wall with roots?

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Should I move this Trachycarpus?

Post by Dave Brown »

They are not aggressive at all Cordy. If you think about it they don't distort plastic pots, unlike things like canna which will distort and eventually split the pot. I've had trachies contained by log roll before :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

I did see some years ago a pair of these planted in a raised square bed just three brick courses high but only a couple of feet across at the end of a raised terrace to frame the access down some steps to the garden. Super idea.

They were obviously planted small but the roots only now were starting to push the brick surrounds over. Both palms were over twenty feet high :ahhh!:

Their owner only suggested to me that perhaps they should be taken out and something smaller put in to avoid further damage :shock:
billdango

Post by billdango »

Leave it where it is.

I have got a 30 foot Trachycarpus planted about 12 inches from my boundry wall in my front garden and the wall which is only about 3 feet high is still undamaged.

This Trachycarpus which can be seen on any of my front garden pictures was planted in 1976 and was only 12 inches tall when put in the ground.

If you watch my video posted on this forum a few months ago you will notice other Trachys planted by my side entrance wall and no damage is shown there either.

So now you can sleep easy at nights...

billdango icon_thumleft
flounder

Post by flounder »

It'll look brilliant when 6ft high... might be a bit of a pain though when the fronds spread out over the steps whilst it gets to that height
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I think one of the beautys of Palms is that they invade our space so attractively. Part of the charm of an exotic garden is the difference it provides when compared to your average garden in the UK and if that difference doesn't stop at the visual then all the better in my opinion.

I have planted Trachys all over the place in my garden and, in years to come, I'll be ducking under and pushing aside fronds to get around and feeling like a real pioneering Amazonian explorer whilst doing it. 20 years down the line I'll be looking up at the fronds and finding something else to fill the gaps beneath them.

Chammies are a different story, spiky plants look pretty but I don't want to crawl through them.

My advice is worry only when you get a problem, then fix it and go back to not worrying.

;)
Simba

Post by Simba »

GoggleboxUK wrote:My advice is worry only when you get a problem, then fix it and go back to not worrying.
;)
A man after my own heart..... icon_thumright
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Thanks guys, brilliant advice as ever.

If it became a real issue getting past on the steps i'd just give it a light prune on that side until the trunk is tall enough, although as goggle said I like the idea of brushing past it to get to the garden :lol:

Q2. So the roots aren't an issue destroying the steps then, how about from a stability point of view. Is it enough for a Trachycarpus only to have open ground to one side of it once its 10-15ft tall and blowing a gale icon_scratch

Its going to be towering very high up, a good 10ft above the kitchen ground level, which is part of the appeal of planting it there I guess :D

kata

Post by kata »

That'll take years before space becomes a problem, I believe.

Your problem is you are looking for problems waiting to dive into spring.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote:That'll take years before space becomes a problem, I believe.

Your problem is you are looking for problems waiting to dive into spring.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
It won't take many years, as the Trachycarpus gets to be at maximum width by about 8 to 10 years from seed. Maximum width is anywhere between 7 and 10ft approx 2 to 3m :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nigel Fear »

The fronds, if left to their own devices will become a bit of a tripping hazzard in a couple of years, and will remain so for a few more, but if you're prepared to trim them that's ok. :wink:
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Yes i agree with Nigel, leave it where it is it won't damage the steps and will look great in a few years! Looks like a sheltered spot too!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

cheers guys, it will be staying there, Ikea's finest Trachycarpus :D