My Tetrapanax "Rex" papyrifera from Springy.

fern Rob

Re: My Tetrapanax "Rex" papyrifera from Springy.

Post by fern Rob »

I would re pot it ith fresh compost.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Tetrapanax is a big leaved plant and therefore loves water providing that it has enough heat and sunlight to go with it. I'm guessing there is a lack of heat or sunlight leading to the drooping when combined with the moisture.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I've left small plants from cuttings outside all Winter and although the leaves have gone that bluey grey colour that they go when the cold gets at them, they still look quite strong little plants and still have their growing points. I felt the compost and it was quite wet as well. They're still really small plants, it was just an experiment to see if they could cope whilst babies - and although the Winter has been mild here, they are still holding on to their 'blue' leaves and ready to go once we get a bit of heat.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Is it ok with a little fleece to keep TRex in the garden over winter without digging it up.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

T rex shouldn't need digging up Rob, it's at the least root hardy so if the growing point is lost you should still get pups.
Fleece will help with protection of the growing point, but really depends on how bad your winters get as to the amount of protection needed. I've been able to keep the growing points on mine for the last couple of years without protection, mind it's been unusually mild here.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

So I should treat it like a tender fatsia and it hold be ok, should you feed them to get large leaves.
simon

Post by simon »

fern Rob wrote:should you feed them to get large leaves.
No, they will do it all by themselves.