My Tetrapanax "Rex" papyrifera from Springy.

Mr List

Re: My Tetrapanax "Rex" papyrifera from Springy.

Post by Mr List »

you can see the bit above the new growth is shrivelling and dieing back, cutting it off is best.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

mine are growing but it seems once on the 3rd or 4th leaf a bottom one dies. is this normal or should they hold all there leaves till a frost?
simon

Post by simon »

Mike, is yours potted or planted out? It is normal to loose lower leaves more quickely if the roots are impeded.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I have 2 very small ones in a very small pot. they each have about 3 leaves and whenever a new one comes out the lower one dies. maybe time to move them to a bigger pot? I plan on planting them out as soon as it gets warm enough.
simon

Post by simon »

Agree, sounds like they need bigger pots.
derrick

Post by derrick »

This is some of my root cuttings in my unheated conservatory they dont need much heat and they start to grow
Attachments
DSCF3277.JPG
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

derrick wrote:This is some of my root cuttings in my unheated conservatory they dont need much heat and they start to grow
Looking good. Two of my leaves have wiltered/shrivelled up. Is it due to the soil being to wet? I have no idea. All was growing nicely until the last 4 days or so.
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Mr List wrote:you can see the bit above the new growth is shrivelling and dieing back, cutting it off is best.
I just ripped it off and sprinkled it in the soil.. Looked on the internet and they say that it is good to do that.
Springy

Post by Springy »

kohwoz wrote:
derrick wrote:This is some of my root cuttings in my unheated conservatory they dont need much heat and they start to grow
Looking good. Two of my leaves have wiltered/shrivelled up. Is it due to the soil being to wet? I have no idea. All was growing nicely until the last 4 days or so.
Don't you kill it Kohwoz! I'm watching you! :wink:
Pictures please so we can see what's happening. All looked well in your last pictures, even if it was dying back slightly but that was nothing to worry about.
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Springy wrote:
kohwoz wrote:
Don't you kill it Kohwoz! I'm watching you! :wink:
Pictures please so we can see what's happening. All looked well in your last pictures, even if it was dying back slightly but that was nothing to worry about.
Here you are Springy. Perhaps you can diagnose the problem?

Two leaves are shrivelling up. Maybe its normal or i have watered it too much.

otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Gorgeous plant, I just ordered one on a whim, enchanted by these pics :)

I think I've seen it (or something similar) growing wild by the roadsides in Brazil and Costa Rica.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It does not look bad, I'm sure it will pick up outside in spring.
Springy

Post by Springy »

fern Rob wrote:It does not look bad, I'm sure it will pick up outside in spring.
I agree Rob. It looks like the compost is quite wet though. I'd allow the compost to dry out before watering again. Still looks a healthy plant to me. I would not water it whilst it's in that White bucket though. I would take it out and water it, let it drip dry on a draining board or something and then place it back in the White bucket when the water has stopped dripping out of the bottom of the pot. Then leave it until the compost is dry before repeating the process. icon_salut
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I think I will add plenty of drainage when I plant my new one our in spring.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

mine didn't even wilt they just turned an odd yellow color and then brown and dead. they were both going good until recently IDK what the problem is but I hope they hold on.