Jelly Palms - worth £60?

cordyman

Jelly Palms - worth £60?

Post by cordyman »

I'm after a Jelly Palm.

I prefer the denser/thicker look of the Butia capitata but apparently the Butia eriospatha comes from a wetter cooler climate so is better suited to the UK?

Butia capitata

Butia eriospatha
cordyman

Re: Jelly Palms - worth £60?

Post by cordyman »

and also

is this worth £250? would certainly be an instant showpiece

http://www.palmcentre.co.uk/.Butia-capitata_BCA.htm

ps. its cold outside so i'm palm shopping :lol:
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Palm centre sale just ended so I'd wait until there's a sale on if it were me.

Seagrave have got a 25% off sale on and free delivery if you spend over £300.

I bought one of these a few years ago in a sale there, and it was bigger than the one in the photo on the website below.
butialge395251009.jpg
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Cordyman the palm house are doing butia in 20ltr pot for £55 but it does not tell you heght of plant or pre order is available at hardy palms and you can get a large butia catarinensis for £150 and (new nane for capitata) and it is a really decent size and price.
Steady

Post by Steady »

Bought my butia capitata in amulree half price sale at £75, forgot to ask size of the palm!!
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

495 Euros from mypalmshop, Butia Eriospatha

Tempted myself.

:)
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

MikeC wrote:Palm centre sale just ended so I'd wait until there's a sale on if it were me.

Seagrave have got a 25% off sale on and free delivery if you spend over £300.

I bought one of these a few years ago in a sale there, and it was bigger than the one in the photo on the website below.
butialge395251009.jpg
you got a recent pic of it Mike?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

JBALLY wrote:Cordyman the palm house are doing butia in 20ltr pot for £55 but it does not tell you heght of plant or pre order is available at hardy palms and you can get a large butia catarinensis for £150 and (new nane for capitata) and it is a really decent size and price.
If its better than the £60 palm in OP, i'm interested!

ps. why the name change to butia catarinensis?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

MikeC wrote:495 Euros from mypalmshop, Butia Eriospatha

Tempted myself.

:)

It might be just me but i'm not keen on those, prefer the £250 in 2nd post, whether its too many leaves removed i'm not sure, but they don't look as cosmetically pleasing icon_scratch
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Cordy, I never saw an eriosptha like the one in your picture , it looks like capitata to me.

Butia catarinensis is the palm that was Butia bonnettii ,its got a formal name, its other name was var odorata before the huge butias from uruguay were given that name.

Before anybody buys a Butia from any source check there is roots growing out of the holes at the bottom of the pot, or dont buy it.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Nigel, there seems to be a bit of confusion about renamed butias. Any chance you could start a new thread telling us whats what please? I thought capitata was now catariensis, or is it odorata? Whats bonnettii? Ta
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

My heads Butia'd icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch :lol:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

flounder wrote:Nigel, there seems to be a bit of confusion about renamed butias. Any chance you could start a new thread telling us whats what please? I thought capitata was now catariensis, or is it odorata? Whats bonnettii? Ta
OK I will do it iin the palms section
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Butia erispathia to me is the best for uk climate, whether it will survive long term who know's?, i havn't seen many large ones grown in west midlands!. I have quite a large capitata/ now odorata & a full size odorata/now a caterinensis,. My first erispathia has 20inch tall trunk but is struggling to get going, the one i had off nigel last year is a corker about 1.6metres tall & the unique erispathia colour green. Its always hard to judge palm's off photo's, if you can your best to see nigel in person & pickout the plant you want. I've never bought off palm centre myself but all the reports are good i've heard. karl.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nigel wrote:
flounder wrote:Nigel, there seems to be a bit of confusion about renamed butias. Any chance you could start a new thread telling us whats what please? I thought capitata was now catariensis, or is it odorata? Whats bonnettii? Ta
OK I will do it iin the palms section
Glad about that, as I have updated my Butia capitata page to odorata, but most, including wikipedia still say capatata.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright